The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim classic, or Ecco Pro?

8556 54
I have been encouraged to get a canister filter for my new 29g that I am setting up. I had been planning to get just a HOB rated for much larger than 29g, but it seems that the consensus for a fish and planted tank is to go canister filter.

1. I have been looking at both the Eheim 2213 and the Eheim Ecco 2234. I am not really sure what has seen the best durability and results with members here. Any thoughts? or is it just pick what you seem to like?

2. Was the information regarding the HOB pretty solid, or does it boil down to just personal opinion to effectively filter a planted with fish 29g tank?

Edit- I have searched this topic and have read threads that were a few years old, if not older. Just curious if there are any current opinions now that these have been out for a longer period of time.

Thanks for the thoughts, insight, and opinions!!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I prefer the 2213, I've had the Ecco and Professionals and both ended up being fights and eventually frustrated me by breaking or eventually giving them up. If your not doing CO2 I'd recommend an Aquaclear AC50, great overall HOB that has customizable media and should be far more then you'll need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See, I was going to go with a HOB, but I got some advice that it would be "better" to go cansiter filter. Is this just personal opinion, or is one or the other usually preferred for fish and live plant tanks?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well I just think that canister filters provide an aquarium with more stability due to the larger capacity for biological and mechanical filtration. I have no documented proof of this other than just my own observations. Ehiem classic filters are very nice. I have a 2217 myself and really like it very much.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Plus the classic comes with all media.
A little tip,,, will have to cut hose for quick disconnect's.
Would make hoses closest to canister, (out of top /bottom)no more than eight or nine inches long.
Makes cleaning the hose's going into the top/bottom of filter easier, and can use shorter brush to go further into the filter housing.
If hoses closest to canister are too long,,then gunk get's shoved back into the filter when trying to clean them with brush.
Also makes disconnecting the hoses for canister maint much easier,faster, from underneath the tank if disconnect's are closer to the top/bottom of the filter rather than up behind the tank or stand.
Got two of the ehiem 2217's on 80 gal tank and they have been running non stop for a couple year's now .
Monthly maint work's well to keep water clean/clear as opposed to maint evry few month's.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well, I gotta throw a vote for the ecco. I have an ecco pro on my office 10 gal, and a pro 3 e on my home 90 gal. I dont have a classic to compare with, however compared to the marineland magnum 350 which is the second canister I use on the 90, the eheim's are ridiculously easy to setup and maintain (and prime). They are joys to use. Again though, I doubt you'll have an issue with the classic.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'd used the Classics maybe 25 years ago in my first foray into fishkeeping (they weren't called that at the time, of course ;) ) and decided to go Eheim again on new filter purchases. I investigated all the various options (Ecco, etc.) but still decided on the Classics this time 'round. Especially now that they come with great media (ditch the carbon pad) and the disconnect valves (an essential add-on back then), they're my favorite canisters.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have to throw a vote in for the ecco pro!

I have one on my 75G, running around 2 years now, and the fact that I can use that handle to prime the thing without turning it upside down, and all those acrobatics I had to do with the classic is so handy. Plus the separated media baskets make cleaning much easier. I'd get another Ecco pro for my next tank.

They were both top notch in parts quality, and build quality.

Whiskey

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have to throw a vote in for the ecco pro!

I have one on my 75G, running around 2 years now, and the fact that I can use that handle to prime the thing without turning it upside down, and all those acrobatics I had to do with the classic is so handy. Plus the separated media baskets make cleaning much easier. I'd get another Ecco pro for my next tank.

They were both top notch in parts quality, and build quality.

Whiskey
Why would you have to turn your classic upside down to prime it ? I have used them for years. All I do is fill it with water and plug it in; there is a little air discharge at first but then its done and back to being quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Why would you have to turn your classic upside down to prime it ? I have used them for years. All I do is fill it with water and plug it in; there is a little air discharge at first but then its done and back to being quiet as a mouse.
It's even easier for routine maintenance as you shut off the valves and don't need to prime the intake hose again - just open the valve.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.