The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi,

I receive my Eheim 2215 and the O Ring is already lubricated.

Do I need to lubricate it by myself later? What I can you to do that?

Vaseline?

One more question, is Double Tap Valve rise the risk of leaking or it's safe?

Thanks

·
Registered
824 Posts
You shouldn't need to lube the O-ring often at all, but if you do you can use vaseline or silicon lubricant (available in plumbing sections of big box stores)

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Do I need to lubricate it by myself later? What I can you to do that?

Vaseline?
I usually lubricate it once a year, or whenever I notice that it requires it during my regular filter maintenance.

I use the lubricant that came with my filter. Silicone lubricants work well too.

One more question, is Double Tap Valve rise the risk of leaking or it's safe?

Thanks
Double tap valves are safe to use, provided the O-rings still form a tight seal. Leaks can occur if the O-rings are old/cracked or if you did not tighten them properly.

It's OK if the water (a little) stay on O-ring after the maintenance?
Yes, this is fine.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
For lube, I use Vasoline on most all O-ring seals. I wipe it on and then pretty much wip it all off but leave is feeling "greasy"? It is good to also add some to the small O-rings on the double taps as well as the big seal. Just a once in a while thing to keep them from drying out.
A point on the double taps to keep in mind. They do not have to be tightened so that they are hard to turn loose again. The screw part only serves to keep them from backing apart. The actual seal is from the O-ring being compressed as it slides into place. No purpose in killing it when screwing it together.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For lube, I use Vasoline on most all O-ring seals. I wipe it on and then pretty much wip it all off but leave is feeling "greasy"? It is good to also add some to the small O-rings on the double taps as well as the big seal. Just a once in a while thing to keep them from drying out.
A point on the double taps to keep in mind. They do not have to be tightened so that they are hard to turn loose again. The screw part only serves to keep them from backing apart. The actual seal is from the O-ring being compressed as it slides into place. No purpose in killing it when screwing it together.
+1

:fish:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts