The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase Eheim Classic Canister filter for my 46 gallon planted bow front. Not sure which one to purchase. Any recommendations? Would the Eheim 2215 be to much? Is this a good filter?

Eheim Plus 2213-37 (Flow rate 116 gph) or Eheim Plus 2215-37 (Flow rate 163 gph)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got the same 46 bow and I've got a fluval with a pump output rated for 260gph. I still run one or two koralia powerheads. I like the flow and so do my SAE, platy and angel.

If I were you I would get the 2217 if possible. Bigger is always better for canisters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why does Eheim Classic series have such low flow rate compared to recommended tank size ? I thought that I read somewhere that Eheim calculates there flow rate different from every other filter manufacture. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Why does Eheim Classic series have such low flow rate compared to recommended tank size ? I thought that I read somewhere that Eheim calculates there flow rate different from every other filter manufacture. Is this true?
I don't know about them calculating the flow rate differently but the superior design and the excellent media that comes included with their canisters allows them to have a lower flow rate while still providing filtration capacity equal to equivalent models from other manufacturers with higher flow rates. There are no baskets and therefore no opportunity for bypass. Also, like I said, the included media is high quality right out of the box with ceramic mechanical on the bottom, a coarse blue sponge, a fine white pad, and a whole mess of their Eheim biomedia. The only thing I would add is an intermediate density foam between the coarse and fine filtration pads.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Agreed with above. I run a 2217 on my 46 bow along with a koralia and It's perfect. I suggest putting the spray bar in the middle if you use it. Originally I cut it shorter to fit on the side of the tank and it didn't work out so well. It may seem a bit much at first, but when things gunk up a little it's really perfect for that tank.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.