The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eheim Classic has a lot of biomedia included. But the mechanical filtration looks very poor.

There is any way to make it better? Can I add 2 blue pads? Or maybe something better like "Acurel Waste & Debris Reducing Pad"?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That's the best thing about canisters, you can add whatever you want, more mech less bio visa versa, sponge pre filter on the intake. More mech means frequent cleanings tho.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Agree with the comment on canisters being versatile. You can built the media to suit your tank.
For when I have wanted more mechanical, I have found a "blue/white bonded " pad from Marineland makes a good mechanical media. It is sold as a cut-to -fit and is reasonably cheap as it can go through several rinses before comming apart. I have moved away from filter floss as I was finding strands wrapped around impeller shafts. The bonded pad has some form of "stiffener" added so that it holds up better and doesn't sog up and kill flow quite as quickly. But it is true that when you filter more and smaller bits of debris, the filter will need cleaning sooner.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I add good cheap polyester fiberfil, 20 oz bag at Walmart for about 4 dollars has lasted me over a year and still have half a bag. Works well at getting small particles.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I tried a felt pad and di not like it as it was really too fine for my taste. But I keep big dirty fish where cutting maintenance time is a pretty big issue. With me it is all about enjoying the hobby so it is a fine line between looking real good and not working too much. Sometimes I settle for feeling just a bit overworked and still not having it quite as good looking as I might like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts