·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My new Eheim Classic 2215 is noisy.

What I'm tried:
1. Shake it to get rid of the air.
2. Lube the impeller and the shaft with Vaseline.
3. Add full set of media.
4. Plug directly in the wall.

No result. The noise come from the motor I guess... It's a warranty case?
When I put the impeller, it's OK when one side touch the magnet? Or it must be perfectly on the middle?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Isn't there a shaft for the impeller? I have never taken my classic apart, but most have a shaft. The shaft keeps the impeller in alignment. I'm not sure I am understanding what you are saying about the impeller.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, there is a shaft. It must be a little loose?

When I put the impeller on the shaft, It's touch the magnet on one side. It's normal?

What's parts can make noise and how to examine them?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I would replace the impeller and shaft plus shaft bushings. Those are the only moving parts.
Don't lube the shaft. Its ceramic. Are you sure the shaft is seated properly in the bushings.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brand new.
The company petsandponds.com will send me a new impeller and shaft kit.

Thanks to petsandponds.com, really great store with the great service.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
When the impeller cover is in place, it holds the ceramic shaft vertical so the magnet should not touch the inside of the impeller well, so if the cover is missing or you remove it, the impeller/magnet will cling to the side of the well.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
A point that is hard to see, making it easy to miss, is the little rubber bushing down in the center of the well where the impeller sets. Hard to see as it is in a hole and black. If that bushing, as well as the one at the top of the shaft are not in place or the shaft is not in them, the impeller may rub the sides. Good idea to always clean down in this well with something like a Q-tip but be careful that the bushings are not lost. One way to hel p your filter run better, longer is by keeping this area clean. If not cleaned, bits of sand can get down inside and score the shaft or impeller so that they become noisy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I examine the impeller and find some holes (maybe crack) inside of it.

Indeed it's manufacture fault. You cannot damage like this via shipping.

I attached the picture. Maybe this will help to somebody else identify the noise source.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I'm not sure I know what I'm seeing in the pictures. Is that the bottom of the magnet portion? I would expect to see either the end of a white ceramic shaft or a hole up through the magnet.
Or maybe that is the little black bushing still on the shaft? Roughness on the bottom of the bushing should not be a problem as it only has to set in the small hole in the bottom of the impeller well.
That should pull off to expose the shaft so you can pull the shaft out to look at it better and to clean it. It takes a bit of "feeling " around to get it set back into the correct spot. Maybe it is not getting to the right place??? I normally find that stays in my filter but if it comes out, I pull the magnet off the shaft. I then put the bushing on the shaft, insert the shaft into the hole without the magnet on it, then last I put the magnet on the shaft. If I try to put the shaft and impeller both in together the magnet pulls over to the side so that I can't line up to hit the tiny little hole.

Hope some of that makes sense??

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I examine the impeller and find some holes (maybe crack) inside of it.

Indeed it's manufacture fault. You cannot damage like this via shipping.

I attached the picture. Maybe this will help to somebody else identify the noise source.

I could be wrong but is that sand on the impeller? Sand will cause noise Fyi

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could be wrong but is that sand on the impeller?
No, there is no sand at all.

PlantedRich
Tomorrow I'll receive a new impeller and impeller shaft. Hope it will resolve the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a noisy rattling Eheim pro 3, I don't know if that's the same model as yours so the following might not work. What worked for me is disconnecting the in and out pipes and taking out a red piece an a white piece. I believe this is the non return valve for the output hose. Try taking that out see if it gets rid of the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I had a noisy rattling Eheim pro 3, I don't know if that's the same model as yours so the following might not work. What worked for me is disconnecting the in and out pipes and taking out a red piece an a white piece. I believe this is the non return valve for the output hose. Try taking that out see if it gets rid of the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic is totally different design with the input and output located apart from each other.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Not hearing anything either. Both my 2215 and my 2217 made a little noise when they were brand new. That noise went away after a while. I am not using the 2215, but the 2217 is very quiet. A bit of humming, but I have to put my ear next to it to hear it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts