The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm starting a new planted tank and I have to spare filters to use. The eheim professionel ll 2028 rated for 150 gallons or the eheim classic 2215 rated for 90 gallons. Which one should I use? New tank will be planted and is the 40 gallon breeder size. Not sure what fish yet but nothing big . Maybe schooling and shrimp.. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi 7Katys, For comparison, I use an Eheim 2215 on a 20 long. It drives a CO2 reactor and external heater. The flow is just about right, I will set up a 40B in the future and I will use a 2217 to start with and see what the flow is like. If you start with the 2215 and it doesn't cut it, easy enough to transfer the bio media into the Pro and keep going.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I run a 2215 on a 40B and it is plenty of filtration. I am running the upgraded intake and output kits and a Koralia 240. I could probably get away with just the 2215, but I think the little extra flow is helpful.

I did, at one point, run that same filter on a 20 long, just like @mooner.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I have a 2217 on a 60 gallon tank and I need to run powerheads to get the flow I want. I am running a co2 reactor on my return line and don't use the stock intake/return cuz I don't care for the color. I personally would go with the 2217 for a 40g breeder. You can always restrict flow down if you need, adding more is harder.

I clean my filter every 2 weeks and run matrix and 3 sheets or 30ppi poret foam and it only cranks out about 210 gph of flow into the tank. I love eheim filters, but the 2217 tops out at about 50g imo no matter what the box says.

That said, the 2217 is a top notch filter and I would get it again. The lack of trays really is a non issue for me, I don't think it makes it any harder to maintain than a unit with trays.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have had a 2215 on a 40B for years and it's plenty filtration. The flow isn't too bad with the spraybar either. Great for low tech.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Eheim 2028 all day, and you don't have to worry about the side piece on the 2217 snapping off, a lot more capacity. Ive used a 2028 on a 40b before, you should be fine. Its probably my favorite canister filter. Ive used it on a 29g as well, the flow is not overwhelming at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ran a 2213 in a 40 gallon planted tank with a built-in wet-dry filter and that was enough. Not a whole lot of flow, but the Eheim classics seem to be designed to work with the flow they have. I think a 2215 alone would be adequate filtration for a 40.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a 2215 on my 40B and a 2217 on my 75g. They both are adequate but in both tanks, I had to add internal filters to increase the flow. Where you have two filters I would go with the 2028 for the extra flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts