The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Had both brands over the years and cant go wrong either way. I just won a bid on eBay today for a new Fluval 306 for $79 New in the box. Check out eBay. With a 20 gallon you could even roll with a Fluval 106.

Another great filter is the Rena Filstar XP S. That could work for you too. The Fistar is ultra quiet and easy maintenance.

Good luck

·
I v(^o^)v shrimp
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Had both brands over the years and cant go wrong either way. I just won a bid on eBay today for a new Fluval 306 for $79 New in the box. Check out eBay. With a 20 gallon you could even roll with a Fluval 106.

Another great filter is the Rena Filstar XP S. That could work for you too. The Fistar is ultra quiet and easy maintenance.

Good luck
i do not feel safe to buy any electronic item from ebay. Most of them say " NO return". What's happen if you have leaking filter or broken filter?
It looks like gambling

·
Registered
577 Posts
I like my 206, my Eheim 2215 was problem filled from the day I got it so I won't comment on it's performance.

The reasons I prefer my 206 though are because it's easier to clean, easier to restart/reprime and it doesn't have horrible green tubing. Oh, and the fluvals are dirty cheap compared to Eheim pricing.

·
I v(^o^)v shrimp
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got eheim 2213 from amazon . The filter was obviously used previously as it was covered from top to bottom in scratches and was extremely dirty. That company might try to gave me used filter ( not new ).I used it in 2 days, and then it was leaking water from intake line . They do not know how to package their product.My guess is that at least 10% and maybe as many as 20% of these filters are getting damaged in shipping. How can Eheim allow this to go on?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Eheim does not sell filters on amazon, or to anyone directly. They're a manufacturer that deals exclusively with distributors. I'd suggest contacting the distributor directly. Click on the little link in amazon that says sold by. That will take you to the distributor who sold you the product. But Eheims are far superior to fluval even though I'm also a huge fan of Hagen (fluval) I think eheim makes better filters. Fluval tries to patent their own parts and hoses that can only be used with their products, making it a pain to want to rhetro fit because you have to buy their overpriced parts.

·
I v(^o^)v shrimp
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eheim does not sell filters on amazon, or to anyone directly. They're a manufacturer that deals exclusively with distributors. I'd suggest contacting the distributor directly. Click on the little link in amazon that says sold by. That will take you to the distributor who sold you the product. But Eheims are far superior to fluval even though I'm also a huge fan of Hagen (fluval) I think eheim makes better filters. Fluval tries to patent their own parts and hoses that can only be used with their products, making it a pain to want to rhetro fit because you have to buy their overpriced parts.
sold by :amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002AQXTA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

·
Registered
301 Posts
You might want to consider the cost of replacement parts. Fluval has the cheapest and most easily aquired replacement parts. A fluval impeller is about 12-15 dollars, an ehiem would be about double, and a filstar would be triple the fluval. Btw I know you arn't asking about a filstar but there are people here recomending them so I'd like to point out that the XP filters use stainless steel impeller shafts which dont wear as well as the ceramic shafts in the ehiem and fluval.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I see it was sold by amazon. Well, you do have an excellent quality filter even if it's used. I have both fluval and eheim filters, and I'd go with eheim anyday. Have you considered fixing the leak? It might be something really simple. If you have any pics don't be shy to post them. I'm sure folks here would love to help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts