The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a temporary 29 gallon lightly planted aquarium that is home to 3 juvenile blood parrots and some snails. I'm currently running 2 aqueon quietflow 20s HOB filters. I want to get into canister filters. I plan on upgrading in the future to a 60 gallor so aquarium. What canister filter is the best? I've heard good things about Eheim. What are my options? And what model should I get??

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
If you are looking for the Classic style Eheim, then the 2215 or 2217 would be your best ticket.
If you prefer being able to pull out individual trays of media, then the Eheim Pro 4 series is also pretty good. I have an Eheim 2273 on my 75g heavily planted tank. Water flow from the Eheim is much lower than my previous filters, but, even with a slightly overstocked tank I can't get a nitrite or ammonia reading above 0ppm and the water is just as clear or clearer than previous filters.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be okay to run either one (2215 or 2217) in my 29 for now untill I get the bigger tank? I was going to run the new canister along with the hobs for about a month to make sure I get a good bio filter going then remove the hobs. Then when I get the upgrade down the road I was going to get a upgraded hob rated for whatever gallon size the tank will be and run it along with the eheim canister.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Would it be okay to run either one (2215 or 2217) in my 29 for now untill I get the bigger tank? I was going to run the new canister along with the hobs for about a month to make sure I get a good bio filter going then remove the hobs. Then when I get the upgrade down the road I was going to get a upgraded hob rated for whatever gallon size the tank will be and run it along with the eheim canister.

Or you could just get a 2215 now, and another one when you get a larger tank. Then you could alternate cleaning times, and not have to worry about your bacteria. Of course you could also just get the bigger one first, you can throttle down the flow if you need to.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or you could just get a 2215 now, and another one when you get a larger tank. Then you could alternate cleaning times, and not have to worry about your bacteria. Of course you could also just get the bigger one first, you can throttle down the flow if you need to.
The 2215 is rated for up to 93 gallons. I think I may get that one. Even if I do get a 60 gallon aquarium that alone will suffice, wouldn't it? I plan to run a hob either way for airation and the hob in itself holds enough BB to sustain a cycle. The max size I would go would be 75 gallons. I have three parrots and once I upgrade may either get 1-2 more or keep it low stocked with the 3.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Whikle most of the filters mentioned will do the job, I like to look at how I know things tend to run. We rarely go to smaller tanks but far more of us go to larger. Also filters can easily have less flow than rated. It is almost a given that the flow will be lower than rated for many reasons. But whatever the rating, we tend to hang things on the canister filters that also make the flow lower. If the budget allows for the reasonably small difference in the 2215 to the 2217, I think you will be well served to go with the 2217 now rather than a smaller filter. Part of the Eheim manuals do state that it is fine to cut flow by leaving the cutoff on the output side closed a bit. No harm to motor, etc. as that is old school motors, not mag drives. I find 2217 is right for my 75's.
In going larger ,you will be covered for cutting flow if wanted, covered for later larger tanks and the price is often not that much. I do encourage looking around really carefully for the best price/shipping combo as it varies and changes often.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I will go with the 2217. It's only a few bucks more on Foster and Smiths site. That way I'll be set for anything I upgrade too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a word of caution...

I have an Eheim Ecco which I love for the most part.. recently I noticed that I will get small amounts of air in the filter and trace the problem back to the main filter top seal. Its not enough to be a detriment to the tank but it is annoying to hear small build-up of bubbles once a day....ps if anyone has a solution for this let me know - I read somewhere that someone but a thin layer of Vaseline around the seal but I haven't done this for fear of having it seep into my tank.

Still I would get another Eheim over anything else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.