The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a eheim Eccofrom a buddy and am looking into what media to use. Oroginally eheim has there pro bio substrate in all three trays but I feel like there's gotta be something better to use out there. I know I'm gonna use ceramic disk in one tray, eheim pro bio substrate in one and then I wanna do something different in the other one. Bio balls or something maybe? What do you guys like to use In your canisters?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Besides the ceramic disk and the bio substrate I use pads, My Eheim 2211 does not have trays so just have it from bottom to top, pads, disk, bio.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
In my opinion, you can find cheaper but not better quality media. For my tanks, I find I don't need that much bio media and replace some with mechanical like sponges.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm going to go with blue pad then white pad the bio rings then eheim bro balls then another white pad and a carbon pad

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I normally lay the carbon pads out for some time when I might want to clear meds, color or smells. They tend to be a bit messy and don't last long. Personal preference on many of the ways we stuff media, though.

·
Registered
767 Posts
From the bottom up, I use: ceramic rings, course filter pad, Seachem Matrix, filter floss and Purigen. The result is crystal clear water with "flying" fish. ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the bottom up, I use: ceramic rings, course filter pad, Seachem Matrix, filter floss and Purigen. The result is crystal clear water with "flying" fish.
How exactly does the matrix and purigen work? How often do you replace/ clean them? It looks like the ppurigen would need to go in a media bag if so which bag do you use. I think I'm going to go with them two

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the bottom up, I use: ceramic rings, course filter pad, Seachem Matrix, filter floss and Purigen. The result is crystal clear water with "flying" fish.
How exactly does the matrix and purigen work? How often do you replace/ clean them? It looks like the ppurigen would need to go in a media bag if so which bag do you use. I think I'm going to go with them two
Ya there?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sorry about the late reply, it's been a busy weekend.

Matrix is an extremely porous media, I obtained a liter of it during a Craigslist score so i'll admit that's why I used it. However, Seachem claims 1 liter of Matrix contains as much surface area for beneficial bacteria to inhabit as 170 liters of plastic media balls. As for Purigen, it is an excellent water clarifier. I use it to keep driftwood tannins under control and the crystal clear water you get when using it. It also removes nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Seachem sells small Purigen baggies filled with Purigen, then they also sell "The Bag" which is quite large, perfect for a cannister filter. With The Bag, you'll also need to buy Purigen separately.

Here's a before and after of Purigen. Can you see why I use this stuff in all my tanks now? ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about the late reply, it's been a busy weekend.

Matrix is an extremely porous media, I obtained a liter of it during a Craigslist score so i'll admit that's why I used it. However, Seachem claims 1 liter of Matrix contains as much surface area for beneficial bacteria to inhabit as 170 liters of plastic media balls. As for Purigen, it is an excellent water clarifier. I use it to keep driftwood tannins under control and the crystal clear water you get when using it. It also removes nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Seachem sells small Purigen baggies filled with Purigen, then they also sell "The Bag" which is quite large, perfect for a cannister filter. With The Bag, you'll also need to buy Purigen separately.

Here's a before and after of Purigen. Can you see why I use this stuff in all my tanks now?

So would you recomend using matrix or just eheim pro substrate bio balls? Also that purigen seems to be good stuff so for sure gonna go with that. So I need to buy "the bag" to put the purigen in? As that should fit in eheim canister trays correctly?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some more research I'm going to go with the matrix. Does anyone know roughly how many ml one of those trays in an eheim 2236 holds? Im thinking I'll need at least 500 ml. Also I red that a 100 ml of purigen will treat 100 gals. Well my tank is only a 55. So would I be better off using the 100 ml Baggie in my eheim or buying "the bag" and filling it with as much purigen as it will hold?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Also I red that a 100 ml of purigen will treat 100 gals. Well my tank is only a 55. So would I be better off using the 100 ml Baggie in my eheim or buying "the bag" and filling it with as much purigen as it will hold?
The problem with the 100 mL bag is its size (3" x 4"), which is made to fit in HOBs. Water has to flow through the Purigen, like all media, in order to be filtered. Depending on the size of the canister, this means much of the water will flow right around it. The Bag (5" x 10") works better as its size will ensure maximum flow through the Purigen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I red that a 100 ml of purigen will treat 100 gals. Well my tank is only a 55. So would I be better off using the 100 ml Baggie in my eheim or buying "the bag" and filling it with as much purigen as it will hold?
The problem with the 100 mL bag is its size (3" x 4"), which is made to fit in HOBs. Water has to flow through the Purigen, like all media, in order to be filtered. Depending on the size of the canister, this means much of the water will flow right around it. The Bag (5" x 10") works better as its size will ensure maximum flow through the Purigen.
Ok gotcha now how much purigen should I put in "the bag"?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts