The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Eheim Aquaball 1212 from Bigalsonline and I don't understand how the integrated diffuser works. See second pic.. There is an attachment that goes on the output nozzle that has a hose and adjustable knob on it but I dont' know how CO2 can connect to that thing. Once I get my Rhinox 2000 I plan to run CO2 through that and have the Eheim collect the uprising bubbles and pump them through out the tank. In the meantime can I hook up my co2 line to the Eheim and let it diffuse CO2?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, looking at it more, I believe the diffusers air regulating valve is typically out of the water so that it draws in air that it can then use to diffuse and add O2 to the water. In my case since I only want to add CO2 i'm guessing I would not use the supplied clear tube and regulating valve and just hook my CO2 line directly to the nipple on the diffuser nozzle. Has anyone tried diffusing CO2 with this?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Correct, just feed the CO2 line there. Just so you know you will get large bubbles that way. If you feed it near the intake, they got chopped up by the impellor and get smaller.

If it's DIY, careful, you don't create a vacum, and pull the mix into the tank.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have pressurized CO2 so maybe i'll just feed the tube into the debris basket on the intake side and let the impeller chop up the CO2 until I get my glass diffuser. I wonder if using just the Eheim i'll get better CO2 content in my tank than my current Red Sea 500 reactor.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious guys, but how much pressure do the glass diffusers need? Will I need to remove my needle valve on the Red Sea CO2 system and run it at so many psi?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not a while lot, but sometimes hard to achieve with DIY, but my DIY [before i got pressurized co2] worked fine through a glass diffusor.

No, you do not remove the needle valve, you just fine tune it to the desired pressure, and it will work fine.

Just curious guys, but how much pressure do the glass diffusers need? Will I need to remove my needle valve on the Red Sea CO2 system and run it at so many psi?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts