The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Will a single Eheim 2217 be enough for a 40 breeder??? If so, where is the best place to get one? I live in Glendale, CA and none of my LFS seem to carry them (most of them carry fluvals).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Eheim says a 2217 is good for tanks up to 159 gallons, so I'd expect it could take care of a 40 gallon with capacity to spare.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys but i heard the rating of up to 159 gallons is generally a "bare-bones" tank and also the eheim without media...after media is added and a tank is heavily planted the rating seems to drop quite a bit...i was wondering if anyone has used it on a 40 breeder and how their experience was? will i need to supplement the filter with anything else? a second filter? koralia?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow there must be something wrong with my 2217.
I had that on a 45 tall then moved it over onto a 40b where i felt it was underpowered for the tank and added an AC70. Even with the AC70 running i felt it was still not even so i added a AC110, my fish were happy then :p
As a side note my tank was heavily stocked which probably added to the extra filtration requirements.

All my equipment has been moved to a 120 and my brother is now using the 40b with a xp3 on it. If your fine with used equipment there is a xp3 in the SNS for $105 shipped i believe.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Also setting up a 40 breeder soon and planning on a 2217... Would anyone venture to say a filter with a smaller gph rating would still be sufficient?

NO, I think a 40g would be on the top range of what a 2217 can handle. I have two 2217 on a 55g. Pic is in my sig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.