The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2217 off bigals, they were having a sale, lowest price I've see it. (139.99) I've been wanting to get a new filter for a while since my sunsun 304 broke months ago. Since then been running a xp1.

Well the 2217 came in and I was really surprised on how small the hose were. The output hose is really small compared to every other canister I've seen. Sunsun was using 3/4 xp1 using 5/8. This hose says 12/16mm which is a little smaller then 1/2inch.

I want to pump this in to my Cerges style reactor but I'm not sure what type of hose barbs to use. The 1/2 inch one appears to be to large. The outside diameter of the 1/2" hose barb is larger then the OD of the eheim 12/16mm tubing.

Also I am really bummed on how little tubing you get with this filter. Just over 4 feet. I'm going to really play with this to make sure I can get everything connected with such little tubing. I was going to buy more but not sure which to get the, I've seen a couple different types both with 1/2" ID one is 5/8 OD and another is different. The thinner wall stuff looks closest but the wall of the tubing is much thinner then the 12/16mm stuff.
I also bought another quick disconnect to I can disconnect the reactor when needed. Its been a real pain with everything connected, (spaybar, reactor, intake)

So questions are, which hose barbs should I get? will the 1/2" one work? Do I need to heat the hose up for it to fit? The brass barbs actually looked a little smaller then the grey plastic ones. (smaller barbs)

What type of hose can I use that will work with the quick connects. I might need more to go from canister to Cerges reactor to spraybar.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
The tubing will be 12mm inside, so that converts to just a hair over .47 inches. Yes, the tubing will fit over a 1/2" nominal size barb but it is tight and does help to heat it. My way of heating is to run water until it reaches full temperature and then leave the tubing end in the hot water for a minute or so. Then I quickly force it on the fitting. Wet both to make it slide better. At times the two sizes vary just a bit and I keep a pair of long nose pliers handy. By sticking the pliers in the tubing while hot and forcing the jaws open is works to stretch just enough to fit tight and tight is good--once you get it on.
I have tried different tubing from hardwares at times and they have never worked as well as the Eheim tubing. When I find one that fits easy, it is too loose or folds too easy. Rather than go with the troubles of hardware tubing, I am now willing to pay a premium to get the standard Eheim tubing from fish supplies. It's expensive but it's also really good stuff. For one thing I like the color. It hides the ugly grunge inside better than clear does.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.