The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some months ago the part of my Eheim 2217 where the outflow tubing connects broke. All I could find as a replacement was a brass part, which various sources (both in person and online) assured would be fine. However I am having some issues (shrimp don't last very long, certain plants show signs of toxicity after a while) that I think may be related.

For peace of mind, I would like to find a replacement part, preferably plastic or stainless steel. Could anyone please help me find one?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I don't feel the brass is a real problem as our water runs in iron, steel copper and brass most of it's life. But then I also note your concern and know where I might be if having your problem. So moving on to the real question?
Can you find what size the fitting you have might be? Looks like a common fitting with a barb on the output side? Common plastic barbs should be available to fit.
But if not sure of the size, there is one way I go with plumbing. I take the fitting to a store where they have a setup to screw the fitting into known sizes to determine the size. Once that is in hand, you should be able to find a barb to fit the tubing.

A search for plastic fittings will likely find a catalog to browse. I use both Arkansas plastics and USPlastics for parts.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forget the exact size - I came across the brass part by taking the filter lid to Home Depot where they could only find a brass part. The part is replacing the normal protrusion from the filter lid where the end of the outflow tube would attach to - the plastic snapped and broke. Thanks for the specific catalog suggestions.

Edit: Joe, that's a great solution; I hadn't realized I could just get a new head cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.