The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My impeller shaft broke a few days ago and the new one I ordered will not be delivered for another 7 days. Question: will all the beneficial bacteria in the canister die without fresh water flow? Should I dump every from the filter in a bucket and do water changes with tank water? Do I have to start over with new filter media?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Do you have a pump or power head to pump water through the canister till new part comes in ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would take the media out of the canister and put it in the fishtank. but you will need something to keep the water moving in the fishtank.

you can just buy a cheap HOB filter put the media from the eheim into the HOB filter until the replacement impeller arrives.

its a good idea to have redundancy in case of equipment failure. for example i have 2 canister filters, 2 hob filters and 2 heaters, and a spare tank.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I had that problem before I started keeping an extra one on hand. You can DIY a temp substitute out of any material that is close to the diameter of the old one. I used one of those red plastic spray extentions you find on cans of carb cleaner or wd-40. Anything close will work, like a nail for instance. My fix easily lasted the week until the new one came.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.