The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim 2217 grinding noise...

15448 Views 30 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Straight shooter
Hello Everyone!

I have a new Eheim 2217 canister (its only a few months old) I just cleaned it the other day, and decided to look at the impeller and make sure it wasn't dirty. This was my first time doing this part, because I did not have a need to do so previously. I put it back together, primed it, and there has been a loud rattling/grinding noise ever since. I know it is not due to air. I know what that sounds like, and have sat and gently tipped it to remove all the air. I have checked every connection, and they all seem fine. The hoses are a tad dirty ( I lack brushes for now) but I can still see through them, and have rinsed them. I am really bummed because this filter ran soooo incredibly quietly (first filter to ever do so as advertised!) before this last cleaning. I bought a new shaft, thinking maybe mine was warped, but it hasn't helped. I have noticed the hole in the impeller might be more oval shaped, however it has been rattling for two weeks, so this may be a result of the grinding, not a cause. I ordered a new impeller anyways, but am worried what to do if the sound persists after I put in the new impeller. Any information about this problem would be awesome!

Thanks Everyone!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
I don't know if it'll help but I've also put Vaseline on the impeller shaft hole so the metal rod it slips onto is coated and that has helped with hob filters in the past making rattling noise

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.