The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim 2217 grinding noise...

15450 Views 30 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Straight shooter
Hello Everyone!

I have a new Eheim 2217 canister (its only a few months old) I just cleaned it the other day, and decided to look at the impeller and make sure it wasn't dirty. This was my first time doing this part, because I did not have a need to do so previously. I put it back together, primed it, and there has been a loud rattling/grinding noise ever since. I know it is not due to air. I know what that sounds like, and have sat and gently tipped it to remove all the air. I have checked every connection, and they all seem fine. The hoses are a tad dirty ( I lack brushes for now) but I can still see through them, and have rinsed them. I am really bummed because this filter ran soooo incredibly quietly (first filter to ever do so as advertised!) before this last cleaning. I bought a new shaft, thinking maybe mine was warped, but it hasn't helped. I have noticed the hole in the impeller might be more oval shaped, however it has been rattling for two weeks, so this may be a result of the grinding, not a cause. I ordered a new impeller anyways, but am worried what to do if the sound persists after I put in the new impeller. Any information about this problem would be awesome!

Thanks Everyone!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
PlantedRich knows what he's talking about but I still don't believe you should go to this much effort when a warranty claim would be easier. The more you muck around with the 2217, the higher the chance of voiding the warranty.

Contact Big Al's and request a new unit.

· Registered
378 Posts
You have sufficient cause for a refund/replacement. For the love of God stop fiddling with it, you'll only make it worse. If you damage something the warranty will void. Big Al's will replace your Eheim with a new one. Stop liaising with Eheim they won't be much help.

Impellers should only be replaced after a few years. You only need to clean/service the impeller yearly. With a new filter I'd let it run for a full year before going anywhere near the impeller.

You should never have pulled it out so early in the life of the filter.

· Registered
378 Posts
Okay I'm a douche, whatever. I'm just trying to be straight with you to help you. It's only a few months old, you should be able to take the impeller out if you want to without any issues. I understand why you did it too, I forgot that sand can be damaging.

I think the method you used was okay but I wasn't there so I don't know if you were a little rough.

Just pick up the phone and call Big Al's. At least see what they can do before making assumptions. They're a sponsor here. Just send them an email with this thread linked. If it's a public conversation they're under pressure to do something about it..

If they don't replace it under warranty I'll eat my hat.

· Registered
378 Posts
I do appreciate the constructive honesty, its why I post my questions here. Not so much so with the bombardment of criticism, however. I'm a proud individual, and hate admitting to be completely lost with something, but on here I have to, because it happens more than I'd like it to lol. As far as eating your hat...do you prefer BBQ or ranch? HA! jk. We will see.
To be honest I prefer hot chilli sauce.

Pride gets in the way of learning at times. It takes some scientists years to get over the pride attached to a hypothesis that is tested extensively and proven wrong. At the end of the day, even if your estimation is wrong, learning still occured that benefited your hobby. This will happen for the rest of your life, but gradually over time as your knowledge base improves, you may be right more times than not. If you're lucky anyway. :wink2:

I wish you all the best with Big Al's. I hope you have an easy ride with them. Look forward to hopefully hearing good news.

Sounds like you research well before attempting anything so I'm thinking this may be a fault with the Eheim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.