The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I have a new Eheim 2217 canister (its only a few months old) I just cleaned it the other day, and decided to look at the impeller and make sure it wasn't dirty. This was my first time doing this part, because I did not have a need to do so previously. I put it back together, primed it, and there has been a loud rattling/grinding noise ever since. I know it is not due to air. I know what that sounds like, and have sat and gently tipped it to remove all the air. I have checked every connection, and they all seem fine. The hoses are a tad dirty ( I lack brushes for now) but I can still see through them, and have rinsed them. I am really bummed because this filter ran soooo incredibly quietly (first filter to ever do so as advertised!) before this last cleaning. I bought a new shaft, thinking maybe mine was warped, but it hasn't helped. I have noticed the hole in the impeller might be more oval shaped, however it has been rattling for two weeks, so this may be a result of the grinding, not a cause. I ordered a new impeller anyways, but am worried what to do if the sound persists after I put in the new impeller. Any information about this problem would be awesome!

Thanks Everyone!

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, since I bought it off ebay from big al's, I honestly didn't think eheim would help me much. I had an awful fluval customer service experience, and opted for asking around here first. I will contact them (don't wanna be an askhole ;) ) simply because I payed a pretty penny for it to suddenly need a new impeller. I would almost bet $$$ that they tell me to try everything I already have lol I will still take any advice from people who have had a similar experience with theirs, and even if they had success contacting eheim! And I thank you both for your advice! :)

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try to clean the tiny hole. I have read about it before, and figured thats what people meant by "air vent". I was hesitant to stick anything into it, but did wipe the whole area to remove any debris. It is quite clean to me, and there wasn't much gunk when I first opened the impeller housing. I have been wondering if the bladed part is supposed to move independently from the magnet? Not come off, but move to an extent back and forth. And yes, I am aware about the bushings on both ends. I have no way of removing the bottom one. I have cleaned down there best I could. Then, I place the shaft into it until I hear a suction "pop", carefully place the impeller onto the shaft. Then, the other bushing is usually in the cap already, so I place the cover back on, carefully line the shaft up with the bushing thats in the lock part, and lock it into place after the shaft is in. I am afraid to push the shaft any harder than I do because I know they break easily. I am at a loss as to what started the noise! Thanks for all the input btw!!

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what I figured! Its driving me nuts! I have cleaned the impeller best I can, and have checked for any nicks or chunks. Is there a way to tell if it is unbalanced with the impeller on the shaft? Mine gets pulled to the sides of the chamber, but I figured thats because theres nothing stabilizing the top of the shaft when its open. I should receive a new impeller hopefully saturday, so I'll probably refrain from taking off the blades until then. I know I'll break it lol my luck is terrible! I am just so bummed. This is such an awesome and simple filter, my first canister, but its just so loud now! It was so perfect before :( Also, sand could be an issue because I do have some in my tank. Do you know how loose the blades should be? Mine are pretty tight on there. Just curious so I know what is right and what is wrong! If they're supposed to be loose, perhaps there is sand stuck in there? Also, I did not notice much sand when I first opened it. Maybe a few grains here and there, but it was hard to tell what was from the filter running, and what was transfer while I was cleaning it. Thanks!

Bump:
I still don't believe you should go to this much effort when a warranty claim would be easier.
I agree, I am just worried a new impeller will fail in a few months if there is something causing the imbalance/grinding noise. Eheim is willing to send me another impeller, once I send proof of purchase, a pic of the impeller, blah blah blah. Thats fine, I'd just hate to be right back in this same spot in a few months. I am not confident that big al's will just give me a whole new unit, either. :frown2:

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to know! I would have neglected to think about not scratching the inside. I will work on it this weekend, when I receive my new impeller. I hope that solves everything! I'll be at a loss if it doesn't!! Thanks for all the suggestions, it has been helpful.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am debating on getting plumber's grease this weekend. I have tried vaseline on an impeller for my old HOB, but it only collected sludge :/ I got my new impeller today, way earlier than I expected. I even replaced both the bushings and shaft. It was quiet for the first few minutes, but now its noisy again :/ not nearly as bad as before, but not as silent as when I first got it, either. What is weird, however, is that the impeller hole on my old impeller has definitely gotten more oval shaped in just a few days. I feel theres something causing it to be off balance, but I cannot figure out what. I KNOW I am putting it together correctly. I can't see how I am messing that up. Its not hard lol. I'm just upset because I know that in a few days, the hole of this new impeller will probably become oval as well. I was afraid this would happen. I just asked eheim what my options are if the noise continues with a new impeller, but their responses to my previous questions had the vibe of "Dear god, just replace the impeller and shut the #$%* up. There's nothing else wrong with it." But I fear there is. We will see what they say!

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hm. No need to be a douche. I have dirt and sand as substrate, therefore I feel the impeller needs to be looked at more often considering the load it takes. I'm sure you know all about taking on huge loads though, right? I have NEVER heard that you ONLY service the impeller once a year. Nor that taking the impeller out "early" is going to make any type of difference. I felt the need to clean it, and it did need wiping out on account of the dirt and sand. If I had less filthy fish, yearly maintenance would probably be the case. But I don't. With goldfish, I have to maintain a filter nearly twice as often as "cleaner" fish. I HAVE heard CONSISTENTLY that you need to keep an eye on whats in the impeller chamber, ESPECIALLY if you have sand with fish that enjoy sifting through it. I'll see if Big Al's will replace it, but I highly doubt they will, not with something this expensive. I feel they will only offer a replacement impeller, which will do me no good if the problem persists. Hence what I am trying to find. Paying to ship it back is also a pain, and a last resort. Not to mention I would have no filter for my fish during that process.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmm, it doesn't seem clogged, and flow is fine, but a good scrubbing couldn't hurt! Even though it isn't perfect, its better than before, and I am ok with the noise level as of now. We'll just have to see if it gets worse :/ The noise is a little annoying, but its the damage being done to cause the noise that truly bothers me. I appreciate your input!

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I do appreciate the constructive honesty, its why I post my questions here. Not so much so with the bombardment of criticism, however. I'm a proud individual, and hate admitting to be completely lost with something, but on here I have to, because it happens more than I'd like it to lol.

So, trust me, I hate messing with impellers because they are usually the only moving and much more breakable part in filters. I spent about 2 weeks debating whether to fiddle with it or not, but given how much dirt was in the canister, I felt I had to. During that time, I meticulously researched how to do it. Youtube was very helpful. I'm never rough with my filters because I know they can be touchy. I actually spent probably more than a month researching which canister to buy in the first place. I'm like that with everything aquarium related. It drives my boyfriend nuts. So, I read plenty of horror stories about snapped shafts and blades, intake tubes, and cracked canister bodies, so I knew to be gentle. I'm so slow to set the thing down during cleaning maintenance, I about give myself a hernia (I'm quite petite in the muscle department, and never took squatting in gym class seriously...damn).

Anyways, I went ahead and contacted them through ebay, which is how I bought it. If I do not receive a replay in a few days, I'll contact the main online store. I figured it made sense to contact exactly where I had bought it from. Without a filter for more than a few hours, my fish would be in serious trouble. Returning it and waiting for a new one is out of the question, so I'd like to see how they remedy that. I have nothing against Big Al whatsoever. Their youtube video on how to assemble it was amazing, since the instructions were garbage. It was a reason I bought from their ebay store in the first place.

As far as eating your hat...do you prefer BBQ or ranch? HA! jk. We will see.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah I was worried maybe there was a hairline crack in the canister, but that would cause air to be seen at the top, right? I use a flashlight and can see into the canister that way. If there were new air bubbles forming after a long time running, that could be a cause? Ugh we'll just see how it continues to run! If the slight noise now gets worse, I'll know theres a problem outside of the impeller. Thanks for the input! It gets me thinking outside the box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.