The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get an Eheim 2215 Classic for $45 shipped. I am in the process of setting up a Mini M and was wondering if this filter would be too strong for the tank. I know most people go with the 2213 which is rated at 20 gph less than the 2215. I will have HC, Dwarf Hairgrass, Moss and some stems that are yet undecided. Fish and Dwarf African Frogs will also be present. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
548 Posts
That's fine. It's better to have more flow than less.
One problem you will have is the frogs. They will jump out of their tanks if you don't cover the top.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That deal is probably too good to pass up, even if it is a little too strong for that sized tank. Besides, as niptek alluded to, you can control the flow on the 2215, by using the quick-disconnects, or even by adding more filter media to the canister.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I used a ex1200 on my 11" cube for a little while to keep it from becoming inactive biologically and with lilly pipes and hydor heater the flow was fine, the tank was absolutely solid with plants though. I'd go for it, I think you'll find that you love the extra flow, it does help in preventing algae and it means you're less likely to get dead spots with lillys on you'll really be flying.

When I planted my cube for the first time with HC I forgot to turn on the filter (An eden501, I was so worn out it slipped my mind) and I still found it floating on the surface in the morning even without any flow, it's just something it does. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
2215 is not suitable for your tank size. Even 2213 is too powerful for that tank size and your soil will move around. turning down the double tap is not recommended and i heard it will damage your impeller in long run. I have Ecco pro 2034 running on my ~2feet (50cm) and i personally think the flow is too strong. Now i have small "slope" created by the flow.

For your tank size, you can try 2211 or Hydor Prime 10

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Dude you can ALWAYS decrease the flow on a canister filter. What you can't do is add flow to it. I do think there is some truth to the possibility that closing the double taps might cause damage later down the road, though, so that's why I would recommend adding some inline devices and extra filter media to bring the flow down to where you need it.

If you don't purchase this filter, will you PM me the details so I can? ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
even by adding full media into the canister, you will still get strong flow unless add another inline canister filter with full media (off mode) to slow down overall flow.

It is going to be overkill for mini-m

No doubt $45 is cheap but you can always purchase and keep it for future use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the advice. This really is a great resource! Anyway, I thought it was too much flow, but for $45 I thought I better get some opinions. If any of you would like to purchase it, it is available here.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just get it, use the money saved to buy an external heater and have done. A 2215 isn't overkill, ignore the low flow brigade. More flow the better. I'll find the posts which quote actual science to back it.
I've used a ex700 on a 30x20x20 which is something like 3 gallons and I had no issues with blown soil, uprooted plants or other. Do it you won't regret the extra flow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
it will still create turbulence in the tank and soil will constantly move around. I have try to redirect the output to face the glass..i even bought lily pipe to decrease the flow..it doesnt really help. It is okay to purchase the filter..i am just saying it is not suitable for 1 feet tank unless you turn off 50% of the flow via double tap

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'd argue against that every time but I've not got your tank so I can't comment. I've had a large filter on a tiny tank and had nothing but benefits.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
As I have posted many times if you want to see that a 2213 can work in a mini-m check the journal in my sig. Now a 2215, thats quite a beast on a tank that small but as like all canisters they slow down after detritus and other biological crudd get in the filter media. I know YOU didnt get it but I just dont want others to be discouraged to try.

BTW, If I would have seen this earlier I would have bought it myself for the disconnects and media alone. What a deal someone got!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts