The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a project and I need some help. Does the quick disconnect for the Eheim 2215 work with the Eheim 2217 disconnect? I am trying to run a filter, chiller system in my room. Basically the set up is:

Tank --> Eheim 2215 --> Eheim 1250 (water pump) --> Aqua-Chill 1/6 HP --> Back into tank.

In between all of this, the tubing size changes back and forth from 1/2 to 5/8. I've tried sticking the smaller tubing in the bigger tubing, which at first glance, showed a snug fit. After day one, the tubing showed signs of leaking at the joints. I believe the Aqua-Chill 1/6 has a 5/8 tubing size.

I need to know if I can mix and match the quick disconnects from the Eheim 2215 and the Eheim 2217. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Really appreciate it if anyone can help me with this predicament.

·
Registered
405 Posts
...I've tried sticking the smaller tubing in the bigger tubing, which at first glance, showed a snug fit. After day one, the tubing showed signs of leaking at the joints. I believe the Aqua-Chill 1/6 has a 5/8 tubing size.

I need to know if I can mix and match the quick disconnects from the Eheim 2215 and the Eheim 2217. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Really appreciate it if anyone can help me with this predicament.

Try getting a double barbed plastic fitting (at HD or Lowes) and putting that between the two different tubings. If you have trouble putting the smaller one on, heat it with a hair dryer to "soften it up." If the larger tube is a bit loose, then you can secure it with a metal strap...also at HD and Lowes.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Purchase a reducer piece from 1/2 - 5/8" or in Eheim language 494 to 594. Well, they call it a reducer but I use it the other way around, same difference ....duh! I don't think sticking one into another is secure enough.

I need to do that for my 300W Hydor inline heater.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In a pinch ( major leak) you canget zip ties and use two zip ties to secure the outside tube to the inner one,just tighten it really good. Put one on each end ie. End ot the inner tube/one ont he end of the outer. I had some tubing like that for 6 months cuz I was too lazy to get a proper barbed reducer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Let me clarify,cuz I typed this on my blackberry in a rush hehe. You have the smaller tube crammed into the bigger tube. On the out tube's end put a zip tie, on the inner tubes end(on the outside tube) put a zip tie. You probably knew what I was saying,but I'm overtires and itlooked weird when I just read it. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the answers. I tried using super glue, its working fine now, but after this weekend I will make a quick stop by HD store and grab the double barbed plastic fitting. Hopefully that solves my problems for good. I can't risk having 20 gallons of water on my carpet.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
This may help as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, don't knock it; I grew up on that stuff!!

I have had success using PVC cement to do the "tube-inside-the-tube" thing. Use a Q-tip to apply and join just like you would 2 sections of PVC....FWIW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts