The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I never find much to fault in the Classic lineup. They can all be throttled down to reduce flow if we find too much. If there are cutoffs in the line, those on the output side can be left partially closed or without cutoffs, various ways to impede flow like sponge on the intake can do the same with a bit more trial and error. Those filters have been the "standard" for quality for a long, long time. Newer filters have more frills but the old line is still a great worker.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, reason I asked about the 2213 is because I can get a almost new one for cheap from a friend who's upgrading tank.
It also has one of those Jaqno prefilter to maybe help slow down flow?

·
Banned
70 Posts
Cheap/Free is never something to argue with! Yes- the prefilter will definitely slow things down a bit. Just make sure, as has already been pointed out, that if you need to throttle it back you do it on the outflow side. If you close the inflow, it could cause the pump to cavitate and will be harder on the pump head.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I like buying larger than needed as I so often find I'm prone to moving to larger tanks and I never find a filter too large! Several things can combine to cut flow. Things like added reactors, inline heaters, etc. will do it for sure. Dirty media will, but that's not a good practice. Adding a sponge on the intake to keep fry out will often cut flow. Adding more or more dense media can do it. There are just many ways to deal with too much filter while the only solution to having too small is spending more money to get more filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.