The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked to death and it's your preference etc. etc. but I'm still torn here.

I'm setting up a 46G Bowfront in which I will have small fish (CPDs etc.) and inverts (shrimp, CPOs). I plan to have a lot of them and so the bioload will likely be high. I'm going to do a canister for the first time and have found a decent price on a Rena Filstar XP2 ($105). But the more I read people seem obsessed with Eheims.

I've found the Eheim Ecco 2234 and the Eheim 2213 which are rated for above my 46G but I'm curious if Eheims are really so much quieter, more reliable and better or if it's just people are enamored of them and haven't tried others. In addition, I'm leaning towards the XP2 because it's rated 300 GPH while the Eheims are in the ~116/145 range. This seems like a big difference.

So am I missing something by going with the XP2? It seems cheaper and higher GPH rating but I can't get past all the love that Eheims seem to get. Thoughts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
priming rena's can be a PITA,especially if you use any DIY co2 reactors (rex grigg special) or DIY in-line heaters. It can also be a bit more difficult to find the 5/8" hose barb fittings as 1/2" and 3/4" seem to be way more common. i have a rena now. my next can will definitely be an eheim.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
The XP's listed flow rates are without any media. With media, they are slowed down by not quite 50%. See below.
Left C said:
Filstar XP Flow rates

XP1
Water Flow Rate w/o Media: 250 US gph
Water Flow Rate with Media: 142 US gph
Percentage Difference: 56.8%

XP2
Water Flow Rate w/o Media: 300 US gph
Water Flow Rate with Media: 160 US gph
Percentage Difference: 53.3%

XP3
Water Flow Rate w/o Media: 350 US gph
Water Flow Rate with Media: 187 US gph
Percentage Difference: 53.4%

The 2213 doesn't have enough flow if your aquarium is heavily planted. You may want to look at the 2215 or 2217. The 2217 may be the better choice. The same thing applies with the ECCO's. The 2236 may work well, but the 2234 may be weak. The 2232 will be too weal.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Firstly neither of those Eheims will be sufficient for your 46g. I find my 2213 perfect for my 20g and my Ecco 2236 perfect for my 29g. A 2213 or 2234 will be woefully underpowered. For your 46 I'd get a 2217.

And Eheims are priced that way because you pay for the name and the quality. Some people have had Eheims running for over a decade without problems. The classics are by far the quietest filters I have ever heard. I can't even tell my 2213 is running from even a foot away its that quiet. I love my Eheims, they are probably the best investment I have on my aquariums.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
2217 is strong flow on my 46gal, but I'm keeping it on there (once I get around to setting the tank back up...).

2213 will definitely not be enough on its own.

I'd go with a 2217 or an XP3, personally I prefer Renas for their user-friendliness but IMO you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking of running the canister with a HOB that I got for free with the tank (it's like an Aquaclear, big one) to have flow to all parts of the tank but I guess I could still get a big canister and still run the HOB as a secondary.

I guess I will have to hunt around a bit till I find a decent price on an Eheim canister. I'll start up with the HOB I have now and wait till I have some money to spring for a nice Eheim rather than scooping up the XP2 and running it with the HOB at startup.

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Invert,

I have the 2213 on a 29 gallon before and it was heavily planted and I got great results. Tank was very clean and kept water flow very well. I think Ehiems are really durable because I left it out in the sun for 1 year almost and didn't really care for it. I thought I'd sell it for cheap later, but I got back into the whole planted tank again and started on a 10gallon. And for a 10 gallon, this thing keeps everything going really well and it's been outside for quite some time. It's quiet, easy to use, and simple. But it's totally up to you, I say go for Ehiem! GOOD LUCK!

-Eric

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
You may be able to find some deals on the Eheim Professional (I) line. These are the 2226 and 2228. They are basically like the Professional II line (2026 and 2028) except they don't have the push to prime feature. These usually come without the media when purchased new, so keep that in mind when you are shopping around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts