The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to my 2213 making a rattling noise I thought it was an air lock so I was shaking the filter to no avail. So I took the filter apart and the ceramic shaft was snapped in half. My question is would an air lock cause the shaft to break if ran too long under those conditions? I have a fluval surface skimmer on the intake and thought maybe it got stuck and started letting air into the filter. I ordered 3 new shafts off of fleabay for $27 shipped. But now I am without co2 and a filter until I get them and only have a powerhead with a filter on it for filtration in my 29g. All in all I just want to know what could of caused this. The filter has only been running for 2 months since I bought it. Didn't think it would break so soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

·
Registered
85 Posts
the same thing happened to my 2213 last year. I was working at a kite store at the time so I just replaced the shaft with a piece of a bar from a kite and its been running like that since then. I didn't think too much about what caused it I assumed it was because there was an imbalance with the impeller (such as a piece of detritus or a snail clinging to one of the blades) that stressed the shaft to the point of snapping. I suppose if there was a significant amount of air in the motor that it could cause some problems. Did the filter sound like it had a lot of air in it prior to breaking? If so then that could be it, however mine broke and I wasn't allowing any air in at all (though I did pump CO2 into it for a while a few years ago). Once you've installed the new shaft check to make sure there is no water in the canister and that when its running it sounds quiet and doesn't vibrate

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It ran quiet as can be before this I just woke up and it was making noise. When I opened the impeller housing ( I was very careful opening it ) there didn't appear to be anything blocking the impeller. Who knows though maybe it had a small fracture from the get go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
well if the replacement breaks then you can assume it's the filter or something in it and if it doesn't then it was probably the shaft.

·
Registered
844 Posts
the problem i think is using a fluval skimme on a eheim..

maybe it's not design for it... i know eheim has their own model and it's looks very diferent.. or maybe the shaft is bad

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem turned out to be the impeller. The magnet seperated from the plastic impeller causing it to wobble and break the ceramic shaft. Must of been a poor glue job at the factory. Since it's only been in use for a month and a half. Oh well ordered 2 more for 1 spare in case it happens again.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
if its only a month old shouldnt they just replace it as it should be under warrenty? id not be pleased having to replace something that new.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The filter was sitting around for atleast a year before I actually used it. So I figured it was out of warranty. No big deal because now I have 5 spare ceramic shafts and 1 spare impeller just in case it happens again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My shaft just broke while putting it back together after a cleaning. I tried the pen but the diameter is to big, so I tried a coat hanger and cut it to the right size and it fit perfect and is a good temp fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts