The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10G right now which I want to ditch the AquaClear on. I've satisfied myself that a 2211 is what I want for it, BUT I have ambitions of swapping up to a 15Gal, maybe a 20 within the next 6 months or so (and will NOT be buying another filter).

My question is with regards to the in-tank flow of these units. I've read here and elsewhere a lot of people using a 2213 on a 20G, but I wonder if it would create too much turbulence for the fish in my current 10, or even a 15 if I go that route. Phrased another way, would a 2211 still be sufficient for 15-20? I have to imagine it would be since Eheim quotes it as being appropriate for "up to" 40Gal, but it seems like 20 and up people are all using the 2213.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2215 for a 15 (or even 20) Gal?!? From vids i've seen online that would smack my neons against the glass I think (not to mention what it will do in the 10). :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar problem, I wanted a 20 gallon long and didn't know which Eheim to go with. What I decided was a 2213. I've read, but haven't tried it yet myself, that you can use a 2215 or 2217 impeller on a 2213 and it will get a larger flow. This means that for now I can use the 2213 for my 20 gallon and if I upgrade to a slightly bigger tank there is a good chance I can use the same filter by just buying a $20 impeller. You might want to look into this.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
The 2217 impeller fits into the 2215 beyond that I'm not certain, but the 2211 will turn over the volume of the tank 3 times per hour and that's pretty good, but the 2213 will double that, and 2215 is 8 times per hour.

My 2215's are old but I don't ever remember the flow being that strong until you get to the 2217 and that would just make a whirlpool, either the 2213 or 15.

Think about what you might add, inline reactor, heater, then the 15 is better for flow, but the main difference in the filters are the amount of media they hold.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do believe the double tap connects will allow you to tune down the output flow. I have the 2232 and the valve on the connector will allow me to dial down the flow. In fact since there are two ball valves to the tap connector assembly you could use them both to slow things down with very good control I would think.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm running a 2215 on my 11.4
Full tilt? I take it you don't have a whirlpool in there then? :)

I do believe the double tap connects will allow you to tune down the output flow.
I've heard about people doing that. Does it increases noise at all? I wonder if adding that resistance has any effect (long term) on the head unit.

·
Registered
703 Posts
the benefit of going with the 2215 is that as it loses power as it gets older, which it will, it will still be useful, or if you upgrade it will still be useful. pluse comes with disconnect valves for the hoses which can be used to slow down flow, or you can use lots of cotton batting in it to effectively clog it up and slow down flow. Also the spray bar design does a pretty good job of spreading it out.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
2213/2215 on a 20g in my opinion. I had 7 neons in a 7-8g tank with a 2213 in it, and they where fine. The flow on EHEIMs really slows down after a while, so getting the 2215 won't be sentencing your fish to spending the rest of their lives fighting the current.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I run a 2211 on a 5 gallon EcoPico and just adjust down the flow on the flow into the tank with no problems. I don't think a 2211 would be enough flow in a 20 even with lily pipes. The double taps are the best thing about these filters because you can reduce the flow out of the filter into the tank. Just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ziggy, if you're gonna ask questions then you should at least trust the answers -especially when nearly everyone is saying the same thing! :D

I have a 2215 on a 20G. The flow is NOT as high as you think it is...you have a mental image of a waterfall, geyser and it's nowhere near that.

If you're making this judgment based on the manufacturer's flow rate - be aware that this flow rate is measured with ZERO filter media in the canister.

If you are even thinking about upgrading to a 20G, your 2213 will be ill-equipped for proper flow - you'll have to add a powerhead to maintain good flow...that's another bulky piece of machinery in your tank.

You have to consider a few things:

1. all filters will lose flow over time as gunk piles up in the canister. Unless you're cleaning these things weekly - which you won't trust me, you have to account for even less flow than simply with filter media.
2. upgrading to a larger tank will be much easier with a larger filter to begin with. Your 2213 will end up staying on the 10G for good unless you add some more power for your 20G. Thats more equipment on relatively small tanks = doesn't look very good.
3. You can always baffle flow by pointing the spraybar to the back wall of your tank or even using the taps to restrict outflow. Restricting outflow won't hurt the motor. NEVER restrict intake - that will.

Also 2213 and 2215 impellers, to my knowledge, are not interchangeable. 2215 and 2217 yes.

If you can't trust our judgment or get that image of a whirlpool out of your head, go visit a store or someone's house that has one. You'll see what we're talking about.

Bottom line is this:

You either go 2213 which is more appropriate for your 10G but then risk having to put more filtration/flow on your 20G if you upgrade.
OR

You go 2215, learn to baffle the flow as much as possible for your 10G and then have zero to worry about once you upgrade to 20G.

If you're intent on upgrading to a 20G, then a 2213 should be out of the picture - go 2215.
If you're not sure on upgrading, I'd still go 2215 - everyone here knows that you always uprgrade...the hobby is too addictive :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting response from Eheim on this subject: Their rep asserted that the 2211 would be perfect for the 10Gal, and alright for the 20 as long as bioload is not heavy. His recommendation for my situation was actually a 2232 and that either it or the 2213 would probably be fine in the 10Gal at full output. 2232 seems like a slick outfit but with a price 50% higher than a 2213, I'm not sure the prime function is worth it, plus you only get coarse, bio, and fine layers whereas the 2213 has the pre-filter layer (though I don't know how much difference that makes).

I really didn't think this would be this hard of a decision. LOL.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ziggy, if you're gonna ask questions then you should at least trust the answers -especially when nearly everyone is saying the same thing! :D
Understood. 2211 is off the table. :) At this point though the 15Gal looks more likely for my eventual upgrade so I have to take that (and the price difference between the 2213 and 2215) into account.

go visit a store or someone's house that has one. You'll see what we're talking about.
I WISH! :) No LFS in my area carry anything other than the Hagen line (and nobody I know has anything even remotely like this on their setup).

Thanks all for your feedback and thoughts!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was just joking around buddy.

Here's the thing...

Planted tanks often have high bioload and need a lot of filtration.

My friend uses a $20 filter on this 55g cichlid tank and it works - but that on your 10G or 20G planted tank won't cut it.

I know the expense and I know what you're going thru - I did the same!

If you ever inject CO2, you'll need good flow to make sure its delivered to your plants. There are many reasons why high flow, even overdoing it with flow is better with planted tanks. And you will be able to baffle the flow in your 20G enough so that the fish won't even notice it :p

If you REALLY want to upgrade, you'll save money going 2215. If you're not sure if upgrading will happen, then you may save money going 2213. See the point? ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.