The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am currently running a Zoomed 501 on a JBJ picotope (3 gallons), but was wondering.. would an Eheim 2211 be too much flow for a 3 gallon? The flow on the Zoomed seems a bit... slow.. even after cleaning. :( Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My zoomed is pretty strong on my 5.5 gallon tank. I removed my stock carbon bag then got some of those reusable filter bags and filled it up with some new activated carbon. The stock carbon bag restricts a lot of flow.
Something like this:
http://img3.prosperent.com/images/250x250/cse.f3images.com/IMD/feeds/EA1113_50.jpg

Also, is your filter at the same level of your tank? Zoomed filters aren't meant to be placed below tank level.

Try doing this first before buying a new filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My filter sits about 6 inches below the tank. I cut the tubes short so its a little difficult to put the filter next to the tank. Do I need all the ceramic filter media in there? Would it be safe to take some out?

·
Registered
246 Posts
2211 would probably be too much, I have one cycling in my 25 gallon cube that I plan on putting in a 7.5 gallon 12x12" cube, and just the flow it creates in the 25 gallon cube tells me I will have to use the cut off valves on the output and slow it down a bit when I move it to the 7.5

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can't put the Zoo Med below the tank. The pump is not strong enough.
:thumbsup: The Zoomed is perfect for the 3gal if it was not under the tank. I say try to find a way to keep it level with the tank or try the 2211 with disconnects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.