The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am currently running a Zoomed 501 on a JBJ picotope (3 gallons), but was wondering.. would an Eheim 2211 be too much flow for a 3 gallon? The flow on the Zoomed seems a bit... slow.. even after cleaning. :( Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My zoomed is pretty strong on my 5.5 gallon tank. I removed my stock carbon bag then got some of those reusable filter bags and filled it up with some new activated carbon. The stock carbon bag restricts a lot of flow.
Something like this:
http://img3.prosperent.com/images/250x250/cse.f3images.com/IMD/feeds/EA1113_50.jpg

Also, is your filter at the same level of your tank? Zoomed filters aren't meant to be placed below tank level.

Try doing this first before buying a new filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My filter sits about 6 inches below the tank. I cut the tubes short so its a little difficult to put the filter next to the tank. Do I need all the ceramic filter media in there? Would it be safe to take some out?

·
Registered
247 Posts
2211 would probably be too much, I have one cycling in my 25 gallon cube that I plan on putting in a 7.5 gallon 12x12" cube, and just the flow it creates in the 25 gallon cube tells me I will have to use the cut off valves on the output and slow it down a bit when I move it to the 7.5

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
You can't put the Zoo Med below the tank. The pump is not strong enough. The 2211 would work nice, you can adjust the flow if it is too strong.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i had a 2213 on a 5.5 with no issues at all, but i did tune it back a bit with with the quick disco's and shortened the spray bar.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm about to try my first canister. Have a Eheim Ecco 2232 arriving tomorrow for my 10g rimless build.
I certainly hope it works well. :)
Gonna get some Lily Pipes and make it pretty.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can't put the Zoo Med below the tank. The pump is not strong enough.
:thumbsup: The Zoomed is perfect for the 3gal if it was not under the tank. I say try to find a way to keep it level with the tank or try the 2211 with disconnects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts