The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a EHEIM Canister Filter to replace my stock filter that comes with the Fluval Flora Tank. I looked at the 501 ZooMed and Tom's Rapid but decided to spend a little more money for quality and will go with the EHEIM brand.

Can't decide to go with the smaller 2211 or go with the slightly bigger 2213. Some of the fish in my tank will not like alot of flow so I will probably restrict the output a bit.

Any Pro/Con comments would be appreciated. I will purchase the new filter in the next couple of days.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I own both filters, and for that size tank, I'd definitely get a 2213. It's much more powerful, but you can adjust the flow if you find it too strong. I use a 2211 on my Mini-M (5.5 gal) and I find it perfect. I wouldn't use it on anything larger than 6 gal. I'm using the 2213 on my Mini-L (8.2 gal) at full strength and I don't find the flow too strong.

The media capacity in the 2213 is almost twice as large as the 2211, and the best thing about the 2213 is that you can remove the internal basket with all the media to make cleaning a lot easier. You can't do this with the 2211.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Get the 2213, especially if you have little creatures which might require a prefilter on the intake pipe. I have a 2213 on my ADA 30-c with a prefilter on the inlet and there is just enough flow.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the 2211 on my EBI.

I like it and the flow is good. I have it wide open and the flow is as good as the Fluval Internal Filter.

Also, flow tends to slow down if you use fine filter media, and with time.

I would have bought the 2213 or the Fluval version, but I have the tank on a kitchen counter.

The 2211 does not look like a huge 2 liter green bottle on my counter.

I had to clean the 2211 in 3-4 weeks since the fine filter totally clogged up. The fine filter is not rinseable.

I ordered like 9 from Big Al's.

I threw the Fluval Edge Sponge Pre filter on the intake valve and it works fine!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I'm not sure how big the thank you have is but first off I wanted to commend you on making the choice to get an Eheim product and NOT getting the tom rapids mini (haven't had a 501 but from what I understand its the same as the tom mini) or the 501!!! GOOD JOB!!!

I have a 2213 on my mini-m (5.5g) and a 2217 on a 60-p (17g). The nice thing about any Eheim classic is the ability to turn down the flow by closing the quick disconnect on the OUTFLOW only. Normally what happens is you will close it up then as the filter clogs up with mulm all you have to do is crack it open a bit, every time to you need some more flow. This will allow you to put off maintenance by a few more months and is just a great feature of the classic line.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure how big the thank you have is but first off I wanted to commend you on making the choice to get an Eheim product and NOT getting the tom rapids mini (haven't had a 501 but from what I understand its the same as the tom mini) or the 501!!! GOOD JOB!!!

I have a 2213 on my mini-m (5.5g) and a 2217 on a 60-p (17g). The nice thing about any Eheim classic is the ability to turn down the flow by closing the quick disconnect on the OUTFLOW only. Normally what happens is you will close it up then as the filter clogs up with mulm all you have to do is crack it open a bit, every time to you need some more flow. This will allow you to put off maintenance by a few more months and is just a great feature of the classic line.
Thanks bsmith. Ordered the Eheim 2213 last night and got shipped today. Should receive it sometime next week. Sometime down the road, I am going get my 20 gallon-long out of the garage and set it up with another Eheim (larger size) if this Eheim 2213 works out for me.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Thanks bsmith. Ordered the Eheim 2213 last night and got shipped today. Should receive it sometime next week. Sometime down the road, I am going get my 20 gallon-long out of the garage and set it up with another Eheim (larger size) if this Eheim 2213 works out for me.
A 2215 would be great on a 20L.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts