The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,

I am thinking of getting a ADA Mini S and the smallest eheim external filter is the 2211, at 300 litres per hour, will it be too strong for my shrimps and otos?

Or should I get a ADA Mini M instead? My perference will still be a ADA Mini S as I love small tanks.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2211 query

I guess the most obvious way to make the filters return flow gentler for the shrimps would be to arrange the spraybar so that it pushs the water against the tank side/back to reduce its pressure. Also be carefull of intake pipe end sucking in young shrimp. Possibly you could cover intake pipe end with a suitably sized filter foam insert. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the 2211 on a Fluval EBI.

The spray is not that bad especially if you have some the valves to regulate flow.

However, I find that the canister cloggs up rather quickly given it is a planted tank.

I though I'd be cleaning out the filter every 2 to 3 months. So far, seems to be 4 weeks.

However, it is new and I think it is cleaning out alot of crud in the tank.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
A 2211 will work fine on an S (which is about 3ish gal, bsmith).

It's pretty easy to adjust the spray bar and you can always add a sponge to the intake to slow things down. Pack it as full as you can with layers of sponges and it'll slow down even more if you see fit. There are always ways to slow things down.
Thanks! :)

OP as long as the filter you get has the Eheim quick disconnects you should be good to go. If you find the flow too much you can just close the tap on the OUTFLOW till you get a flow rate you feel is where you like. Then as the filter gets clogged with mulm you can open it up to stop the flow from decreasing too much effectively increasing the intervals between filter maintenance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you can afford bigger canister and have the space, go for it.

I choose the 2211 since it is on a counter in my kitchen and I can put the can behind the tank.

The flow is good, but most likley it will need monthly cleaning.

I got a pre-sponge filter, 2 sponges, carbon, and fine filter and the flow is good without closing down the quick release valves

1 - 9 of 9 Posts