The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eheim 2126 == FAIL

Wow been a long time since I've been here.

Well, after 3 years of use I am doing a review.

I will give it a rating of 2 out of 5 and I would NOT recommend it.

About five months ago, one of the plastic clip broke. It still does the job of keeping the top part of the filter on but I dont know for how long.

The built-in heater malfunctioned and it cooked(killed) my fish (Australian rainbow/12 tetras). Luckly my ram survived after emergency water change.

I will never buy a filter with a built in heater again. This is a poor design. There should have been a fail safe mechanism that would prevent it from heating up the water to 44C (which was what the heater was displaying when I realized my fishes belly up)

Also the rubber O rings are cracking. (but this is somewhat expected) but after only 3 years?

Anyway, I'm sure others have different experiences with their eheim. This is mine and I wanted to let people know what happened.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Have a couple of 2028's recently had to replace all seals after 4yr of continuous trouble/noise free service....Can"t complain! Hav'nt had any with built in heater but would assume the additional heat may shorten the life of the seals a little.
Price to overhaul approx $50 each plus shippng ( taking into account replacement cost I'm high fiving myself) That included the quick release hose couplings that cracked due to the continual weight of the hoses pulling down on them. To avoid future issues with the hose coupling cracking...which seems to be a common problem I purchased an adjustable screw thread shower rail & spanned the inside of my cabinet with the hoses draped over the rail to take the strain of the couplings Also comes in handy for hanging my inline heater & other things on and is easily removable for access purposes. Hopefully they will give me another 4yrs trouble free service...
Thanks for the heads up on the fried fish..

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the same experience with the heater, luckily I caught the problem before any fish died. Eheim wouldn't replace the part for me b/c I got it on ebay. Filter works well though, so I'm going to be using an eth inline heater instead.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I had a bad experience with my Ehiem Classic 2115. It only cost me $15 to fix everything but it was my first canister filter so I didn't even know what was wrong. I have no issues since but I think they are like most modern companies now, quality will vary. I may consider another brand in the future, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Customer service is non-existant as well.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It would be more helpful if you post your personal reviews in the Product Review section as they tend to get lost in these threads. This makes it easier to find specific products reviews.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have multiple 2128's, and I can say I wouldn't buy one again with a built in heater. Generally the built in heater tacks on $50+ to the price, and you can get a Hydor inline normally for $50/shipped. That way it's cheaper to repair/replace the heater component. If any part of the heater breaks on your thermofilter, eheim wants like $180 for repair parts. No way.

The readout on one of my 2128s blew out. It reads like 6 C when the tank temp is 27C. The control feature still works, it's just the readout.

I love the filter, but the heater part is just one more overpriced component that will fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts