The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question I have is this:
Is an eheim 2028 too much for a 29gal tank or will I be able to turn down the flow enough?

The reason I ask is this:
I ordered a 2026 but was shipped a 2028. I could exchange it straight up but if I got the bigger one at the lower price, do I really want to do that? Not to mention the hassle and irritation of shipping it back and getting a new one. Obviously, if it's going to be way too much current for a 29gal tank, then clearly I'll want to return it. But I figured I'd ask for opinions from those who've used eheim 2028s before.

thanks,
-josh

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would keep it and use it in the 29 gal.direct the spray bar toward the back side of the tank and you may not even have to reduce the flow.
Later on you may want to upgrade to a bigger tank,this filter would be what you 'll need.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The head of those two filters (2026 and 2028) are the same. It’s just the volume of the filter that changes. I have got the 2028 on a 35/40G and I wish it was more powerful, but I have a CO2 ext. reactor and an ext. heater inline.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'd have to say it's fine unless you let the tank grow out too much. Then it may block the flow. You can't go by the box numbers in most cases as these are calculated with no media. I was under the impression my 2026 could handle the 55g but I'm adding a 2217 soon as it arrives to stave off deadspots after the tank matures again.

I like a full tank o plants. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, came from petsmart with media. the "upgraded input/output", 2 boxes of bio filter media (is this stuff useful?) and 1 box of mechanical media. I can't tell if it came with filter pads yet, as I haven't opened the actual box yet.

thanks for the advice/opinions.

If the difference between the 2026 and the 2028 is only in the volume of the filter box, why is the difference in the size tank recommended for each filter so different? Is there really no difference in the gph rate? and will constantly having the flowrate turned down have a negative effect on it's filtration power or potentially damage the motor?

I'm seriously considering an external heater at some point in the future (using a visi-therm presently, but would love to remove more equipment from inside the tank) and possibly removing the diffuser and going with an inline reactor. From what i've read, adding those would also reduce the flow rate of the filter, so perhaps the large filter is a good thing.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the difference between the 2026 and the 2028 is only in the volume of the filter box, why is the difference in the size tank recommended for each filter so different? Is there really no difference in the gph rate? and will constantly having the flowrate turned down have a negative effect on it's filtration power or potentially damage the motor?
More media = more bacteria/more biological filtration and therefore will "filter" a bigger tank. Planted tanks don't really need a lot of bio filtration, but non-planted tanks do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts