The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2026 is about a month old. For those that aren't familiar, it's got a flow gauge on it something like this:

----
---
--
-

It has a CO2 reactor and a heater inline, so when I first set it up, it was reading about here:

----
--- <-
--
-

I did a blackout on my tank for a green water issue during which I added 3 layers of fine filter floss to help filter out the algae. It dropped to this:

----
---
-- <-
-

I figured, "Eh, normal, there's extra resistance with the filter floss." However, now that the blackout is done and I've removed the extra floss, it's still at that flow rate. I got in there and cleaned all the media out as well as cleaned out the in/outlets. It's still at that low level.

Does anyone have any idea why or what might cause it? Something else I should try to restore the flow?

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try cleaning out the tubes. This happens to my 2026 and flow is restored after running the brush through them.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It's possible that some of the fine filter floss 'escaped' & is causing a restriction. You may need to check everything from the filter to the tank output line. Don't forget to check the impeller area also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I took the impeller apart and stuck the brush down there, too. The filter floss isn't the loose stuff, it's actually quilt batting - it comes in sheets. I am quite certain none escaped, especially past the grating that goes over the top of the baskets. I can't imagine what might have happened. Isn't a month a little early to already be needing a tube flush? And how does one go about getting a brush through feet of tubing? I guess I could shove it through with a coat hanger or something... or is there a better method? Is it possible to just stick it in the tube and turn the filter on and let the pressure push it through?

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Does the impeller spin 360? If it does it needs to be replaced. Check the shut off valve and make sure nothing is blocking it, run without any media.
That's all I can think of...

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the impeller spin 360? If it does it needs to be replaced. Check the shut off valve and make sure nothing is blocking it, run without any media.
That's all I can think of...
Nope, doesn't spin 360, the shut off valve is nice and clean, and I tried running it without media, no change.

Left C, I'll have to look into those at some point, but I'm quite sure they're not dirty enough to halve the flow yet. The tubes are fairly new.

Thanks, guys.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Any goop from the impeller though the filter then to the tubing and into some type of diffuser can make a huge difference.

It fooled me for a while. But, I found out that it only takes a small coating to make a huge difference in the flow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any kinks in the tubing going from the filter to the tank rim? The flimsy Eheim tubing easily loses its round diameter if there are any bends or obstructions.
Nope, none.

Any goop from the impeller though the filter then to the tubing and into some type of diffuser can make a huge difference.

It fooled me for a while. But, I found out that it only takes a small coating to make a huge difference in the flow.
Well then, I'll look into that sooner than later. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts