The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted 29gallon tank with 2 mystery snails, 5 Corydoras and a Rainbow Shark and I recently noticed some eggs in the tank--unsure of who they belong to-Im guessing snails, but they dont look like the mystery snail egg pics I found through Google.

Input? They are on the heater on the right. Ignore my Anacharis--that is all I have left after I melted 10+plants with Excel--grrr.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's hard to tell in the picture...all the snail eggs I have seen look like a little drop of clear jelly with tiny eggs inside. But I don't think cories lay their eggs like that stuck to a vertical surface (I could be wrong though) and I don't know about rainbow sharks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'd say they're cory eggs. They can lay eggs on vertical surfaces (found some on my back glass the last time they spawned)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree that they are cory eggs. I've had them lay eggs on the glass but never on a heater though.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would say they are the eggs of Mystery Snails. I have seen Cory eggs up close many times, and usually they are clear-ish, and are in small clusters together. The fact they are white, and spread that far apart leads me to believe they are eggs of the Mystery Snails.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers---after some research I have found that I was sold snails under the premise that they were Mystery snails when in fact they are Nerites---guess thats what I get for not doing research back when I was purchasing my livestock and plants.

Good news is that after the research I did today I found that Nerite snails are actually snails that I WANT in my tank and I may go buy a few more of them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if they are nerite snails and not mystery snails, then they are definitely nerite snail eggs. They looked a little small to be definitely cory eggs. And true Mystery snails do not lay eggs underwater. They lay eggs above the water surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts