The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home from work today and found eggs attached to the tank glass,haven't a clue as to what fish layed them,They are in a community tank,tetras,corys,sae,ottos.What do i do ?...leave them alone...rescue them somehow.How long does it take for them to hatch.They are white dots a little smaller than a pin head.I have snails but,i have seen snail eggs before.Any help would be apperciated

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess i have pond snails,very few of them.What would you suggest to do with them (eggs)...leave them alone and hope they don't get eaten,scrap them off try to save them?.I have some netting i might be able to put over them to protect them,,,i also realize that may not hatch at all too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some snail eggs will not hatch in your normal tank water. So, if they are snail eggs they may not hatch at all. This occurs in my tank.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If they are not in a jelly mass, I'd guess cories, actually. In a community tank, most if not all will be eaten.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eggs hatched..not sure who the mommy and daddy are yet.This i do know... they are not snails.I took them off the glass and put them in a fish net,they hatched in there.Do they take that short of time to hatch...i was thinking maybe a week or two.Now,how do i feed them?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Temperature has a lot to do with hatch times, but 48 hours is typical for many species of fish.

Once the fry yolk sacs have absorbed and they are free-swimming you can crush up flakes really fine and that should work.

I personally like using Green Water, but it's a bit late now to start a culture.

If you have some mosses to throw in there with the fry that should help both make them feel more secure and also bring in a few microorganisms for them to feed on.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Do the moss thing Lauraleellbp suggested. I've had a couple of random eggs hatch on me already.
I would transfer plants into new tanks/buckets and find baby fish in it a few days/weeks later. As long as there's plants in the tank and no predators, the baby fish seem to be able to fend for themselves and find micro-organisms to eat without me having to actually feed them.
Plants help, a TON!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've never intentionally bred anything. I just let nature take its course, but you might want to try a different route.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info all...will let you know what kind of fish they are if they survive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update..They are cories,i can see their little whiskers.Had 12 eggs,5 hatched,4 surviving.

Question: How often do these fish spawn and do they give any signs as to when they are about to spawn?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update...You guys will not believe this...eggs plastered all over the place ..cories again? About 100 eggs.It's 3 days shy of six weeks since the last spawn.Caught the eggs before the community population did.Why me!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts