The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
SNAILLLSSSSSS!!!! RUUNNNNNNN!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as long as they're not pond snail eggs and it looks like it is. get you a yo-yo loach or sidthimunki botia in there to control the snail population if you should so choose.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeesh, great :icon_frow

I thought they were multiplying fairly quickly. Never thought of that one. This is my RCS tank and I don't want anything in there that would eat the babies. I guess I just start picking them out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
ahhhh, yep. honestly, if you're not worried about the plants, then i guess i wouldn't worry about the snails. just to remind you if you didn't know or did for that matter, any chemical that will harm the snails will harm the RCS.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, and no, I didn't know that. I appreciate the input. I won't be using any chemicals to rid them. I will be plucking them out of the tank every time I see them now. The eggs come off the glass quite nicely with a Q-Tip. I pulled out 7 snails tonight.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Actually, apple snails mix well with shrimp. The shrimp find food in the apple snail poop, and their eggs are easy to dispose of, since they're deposited above the water. If you don't want them to breed, just keep one, since they are single-sex critters (either male or female), unlike ramshorns, pond snails, etc.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I wish I could control the snail population without harming my shrimp....wouldn't a yoyo or botia go after shrimp too?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yea, i didn't realize is was a RCS tank when i said that.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I wish I could control the snail population without harming my shrimp....wouldn't a yoyo or botia go after shrimp too?
My 5"+ yo-yo leaves my shrimp alone, but I have a good supply of MTS for him to snack on.

Tommy

·
Registered
780 Posts
If the shrimp would eat the snail eggs, I wouldn't be picking out ramshorns by the dozen every month. I crush the shells, and drop them back in the tank (a few at a time). The shrimp and crayfish like fresh snail meat.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Medium and large sized ramshorn species have thicker egg clutches than other pest species, there's a contact lens type of cover on top of the eggs, so they can't be touched that easily. And the tiny ramshorn snails have such small egg clutches that they might be left in peace and not found.

Pond (Lymnaeidae) and bladder snails (Physids) have jellylike egg clutches (which cherokeetestpilot has) which seem to be a part of the diet for shrimp sometimes. But that will probably not be enough. I don't have any experience with getting rid of snails, since I've always let them be and just remove some of the biggest ones once in a while. Picking them one at a time seems to be the best way and removing all the eggs you see. Oh, and I use my shrimpy biscuits as a bait for malaysian trumpet snails when I need to get some from the substrate. :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
my algae wafers call them by the droves. I got a cupful yesterday all over the algae wafers......all "doin it"

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Can someone ID this half a centimeter wide egg mass?
I suspect they are ramshorn, but I'd like confirmation.
please don't make fun of my green spot algae :icon_redf

NMV: livebearer, or resident ramshorn breeder
confirmed they are definitely ramshorn snails.
I'll post another picture as they mature gold.

3 days

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Those are vulture eggs. We tried to warn you not to put that tank near a window but you wouldnt listen. The only way to get rid of them is to give the tank away. Fresh and I will be by saturday :)

chaz

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I can't resell livebearer's ramshorns.
she made me sign some sort of
non-disclosure agreement :hihi:
I might scrape them off the glass
when they look ready to hatch.
Hopefully isolating them will help
give them a chance to grow up.

chaz, you near NYC?