The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flower Plant Purple Organism Petal

Just found out that my Dicrossus filamentosa laid eggs on my diffuser.
This has to be 5th..or 6th spawn of this pair idk. They normally lay eggs on underside of larger leaf plants like echinodorus species
(Because I don't keep that large plant) This pair usually settled on Bacopa leaf. This time they did not. Out of all those stems they had to choose diffuser.
She was significantly fatter yesterday and there was no eggs today morning so I think she laid during today. Although I am not sure at what point.
If she laid when CO2 was on then I wouldn't be concerned, but I'm fairly certain she laid after CO2 turned off.

How will this work out? Will CO2 suffocate eggs? Will pressure detach eggs? I have absolutely no idea.
I don't want to raise them bc hatching brine shrimp is PITA..and I don't even have any spare tanks. (This tank has other fish)
But at the same time..I kinda don't want them to die. At least until they had chance to hatch. After that..stronger fish may survive.
Maybe I'll buy new diffuser and move this one to more "safer" place.

They need very low pH to hatch so at least that works with CO2 lol

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I would love to get my hands on a checkerboard!! Congrats (?) on having a breeding pair. You could possibly use a razor blade to transfer the eggs to a better spot and either tend to them (keep them clean and fungus free) or hope the parents find them and let nature take its course. If you aren't prepared to raise a brood, though, you might consider just getting rid of them before you get attached to wrigglers...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.