The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Look at tank in evening with flashlight to find eggs scattered on my s. Repens. Wondering what fish they are from.
Im breeding cardinal tetra (attempting to) in a breeder tank that hangs over this show tank I have but there are about 5 more in tank that I think are all males. Also have ottocinclus in tank, black neon tetra, and lemon tetra. Ive seen cardinal eggs, they are single eggs and not that adhesive. These look stuck to leaf and in a line. Anyone know?
I am guessing its ottos.

Sent via mobile TapaTalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Do you have any snails in the tank, these look like snail egg sacs to me, if you look close enough you should see little dots with in it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If they are fish eggs they would have to be the otos.

·
Registered
881 Posts
They are only otos if you spot a pregnant oto. Trust me, you will see how bigger the pregnant one will be apart from the regular ones. Mines bred too not too long ago and still are. I've only found one fry because of all the other fish I have that will hunt baby fish. If you found a fish fry and see a pregnant oto then its obvious. Mines lay one or two eggs on few leaves and some were even stuck upside down. If you've ever seen snail eggs, you will already know that its not it because 1 oto egg can equal a whole batch of snail eggs. :proud:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did have one of three ottos that was fatter than other two for a while now. It seems shes always been that fat though. And the night before I did see two of them close by each other when I was shining light in dark. They were in the area where the eggs were all found. I doubt my small ramshorn pond snails can lay such big eggs. Had snails long time (big outburst) never seen eggs like these.

Sent via mobile TapaTalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
They are only otos if you spot a pregnant oto. Trust me, you will see how bigger the pregnant one will be apart from the regular ones. Mines bred too not too long ago and still are. I've only found one fry because of all the other fish I have that will hunt baby fish. If you found a fish fry and see a pregnant oto then its obvious. Mines lay one or two eggs on few leaves and some were even stuck upside down. If you've ever seen snail eggs, you will already know that its not it because 1 oto egg can equal a whole batch of snail eggs. :proud:
Then I suppose you have never seen the egg of the assassin snail...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then I suppose you have never seen the egg of the assassin snail...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I dont have assasin snails. :) though it sounds like a good idea. If I get just one, will it reproduce or stay a single assasin snail in tank? I need to get my snail population out.

Sent via mobile TapaTalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.