The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Based on those first few pictures I'd have to agree and say they look like pond/bladder snail eggs. I've seen enough of those in my own tank to make an educated guess here haha. Harmless critters, nothing wrong with keeping them but they can explode in population if you aren't careful. They don't hurt anything either way but just keep that in mind

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Is there a large gel covering over it? I think in some pictures it shows that, if so then it looks like snail eggs. I haven't seen fish eggs that are completely covered in gel over the entire batch like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently had one of those snails hitchhike on a plant I bought then a week later, I saw a bunch of those eggs in that slime which I removed. That didn’t stop more from developing. First, as small transparent dots on my glass, and then developing into adults. On an Aquarium Co-op video, Cory talks about snails. He’s of the opinion to leave them. Yes, their population will grow, but only to the extent that there’s enough for them to eat and survive. It you develop a serious population explosion, that’s a sign that either you need to do maintenance and gravel cleaning or are over feeding your fish. They are a good barometer of your tank’s health. Otherwise, they are helping clean up your tank. I’m keeping an eye on mine and so far, all seems well. Their presence keeps me on my toes!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recently had one of those snails hitchhike on a plant I bought then a week later, I saw a bunch of those eggs in that slime which I removed. That didn’t stop more from developing. First, as small transparent dots on my glass, and then developing into adults. On an Aquarium Co-op video, Cory talks about snails. He’s of the opinion to leave them. Yes, their population will grow, but only to the extent that there’s enough for them to eat and survive. It you develop a serious population explosion, that’s a sign that either you need to do maintenance and gravel cleaning or are over feeding your fish. They are a good barometer of your tank’s health. Otherwise, they are helping clean up your tank. I’m keeping an eye on mine and so far, all seems well. Their presence keeps me on my toes!
I have shrimps, leopard snails, and a lot of microcrustaceans. Also, the betta is always scavaging for things but never eats the shrimps...however, attacks the snails and stares at them for minutes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found this little one today.
Doesn't look like the other snails I have, they have more of their bodies out of the shell and the shelf itself is turned instead of straight aligned with the body, longer tentacles(feelers, antennae) and brighter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.