The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been interested in breeding fish but I have always stuck to the easy ones to breed, livebearers. I am going to set my 10 gallon back up this weekend and am moving some of the fish out of my 29 gallon to the 10 gallon so this will free up some room for more fish in my 29 gallon. Like I said, I have always stuck with easy to sex, easy to breed livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies). I would really like to take on an egg-laying/scattering species but am looking for a species that is relatively easy to sex and then easy to breed. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
danios and barbs are really easy.. and they produce a lot...

and if you find fish that take care of the eggs and fries interesting, you can try cichlids, or gouramis/bettas.

the only difference in terms of taking care of the fries is the fries that hatch from eggs are tiny compaired to livebearers. So you have to feed them paramecium/protozoans initially and then move on to microworms/baby brine shrimps.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
If you can find them, Niger Ottos. PlanetCatfish :: Cat-eLog :: Loricariidae :: Hisonotus leucofrenatus

These are by far better than the regular Ottos everyone uses in a planted tank. The problem is that they can be hard to find. If you do though, they usually aren't more than $2-$3 a piece. I've had a few incidental spawnings myself without actually trying.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Blue Rams? Sometimes a little delicate on introduction to the tank, but once acclimated they should be ready to spawn. Check this site and the web for sexing - doable, but not always easy. Bigger specimens are easier to sex and are at breeding size. Use a fine substrate or a flat rock for a spawning site. Cool colors too!

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you have a large tank (or two) and want more little mean fish than you know what to do with, try Convicts. I have a 10g (no worries, I take exceptional care to keep it clean and they're still young) for the breeding pair, and a 29g to raise the fry. They spawn every 6 weeks if you remove the previous fry, and produce 100-300 little ones. All you need is a cave or flat rock for them to lay their eggs on/in. They do all the work, no special care needed. However, they pair off for life, so if one of them dies, the other will not breed with any other partner.

You probably don't want to do this, but it's a suggestion that meets you criteria. I breed Convicts and livebearers (only moons and guppies for now tho).

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Aside from live-bearers, I've bred kribensis --- very easy to breed, good parents (although you DO have to remove fry asap if the tank isn't large).
I also bred Archocentrus sp. "Cutteri". It's a central american cichlid that seems very similar to a convict. In fact, the LFS got it from a local breeder and simply labelled it as "Blue eye cichlid" -- even though the blue eyes are more yellowish. Very cool fish and not overly aggressive, although they held their own in my 90g with a Firemouth, green sev and a blue acara.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1341

I'd like to try a tetra, rasbora or danio sometime too ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see a lot of cichlid replies on here so they must be easy to breed. I really wanted a peaceful (community) fish and I have heard most cichlid species are aggressive/territorial so I think I will stay away from them for now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Foe egg scattering species how about lemon tetras. I have a group of six that spawn every month. Just start with a group and see what happens.

For cichlids, I would vote for an dwarfs in the apistogramma group I find it hard to stop my A. Cacutuoides from breeding. I also just spawned my A. Agazzii. For a 29 I would go with 1M/2F.I've also spawned blue rams but couldn't raise any fry.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I see a lot of cichlid replies on here so they must be easy to breed. I really wanted a peaceful (community) fish and I have heard most cichlid species are aggressive/territorial so I think I will stay away from them for now.
The Ottos I suggested are super peaceful, hardy and they eat algae. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.