The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on doing my first "big" scape in a 120, and with that was going to look into using egg crate to create the base of the scape itself, cutting down costs. I wanted to do a fairly large structure on one side of the tank, emerging from the water, and realized that this would create a fairly empty flow-less cavity beneath the egg crate. Should I be concerned about the stagnant water below the structure? How do people work around this issue?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw a video on YT and guy just put tlava rock inito mesh bags and build up on top of that layer/s. I had similar concerns as you and once I saw the stacked up bagged lava rock I knew how I was going to build mine up. As an added bonus I'm pretty sure the lava rock will be colonized by beneficial bacteria over time.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
When you say a 120, do you mean 120 gallon or 120cm tank? I'd be leary of stacking a lot of weight ontop of an eggcrate sctructure. In my 120P tank I built up the back of the tank to about 2/3rds of the tanks height. I used lavarock and lavarock in bags. I regret the use of the bags, it wasn't necessary and added to complications as opposed to helping me at all. Loose lavarock works fine for building up height as well as lots of stone. My stone is all from the wild so I have stone to 'burn' as it were. My lavarock is all from the hardware store and was quite cheap. Anyway you can easily build all the way up to the surface using this method. BUT, it is a lot easier to use wood to breach the surface.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've also seen the media bag trick on youtube. But I'd add that if we're all talking about the same youtuber be aware... He has a flagrant amount of blatantly false info on nhis channel. The last video of his I watched he literally told the audience to "stir the sand" to get rid of a particular type of algae.

There are some brilliant channels dedicated to the hobby on youtube. The rest seem dedicated to "unboxing" new fish and cycling through tanks creating new setups. When they unintentionally give you a glimpse of the "new setup" they made two months ago it's usually a neglected, algae filled mess, with a noticable reduction in fish...

Until they decide they need to rescape and unbox new fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts