The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do I separate them from the mother plant? How big must they be? I have some that are about 2 1/2 inches already but they seem puny and the mother plant isn't growing much either. I'm thinking they'd do better apart?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Are you talking about the side shoots from the main stem? They can be taken off the main stem and replanted. I would usually wait till they were about 4 inches or so, since part of the stem will have to be buried in the substrate.
Can you provide more information about your tank. Maybe we can figure out why your anacharis isn't doing well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I was talking about the side shoots. I have the plants in a 7 gallon tank, with black sand as substrate and an 11W fluorescent lighting that I keep on about 6-7 hours a day(sometimes more, sometimes less but I try to keep it at 8 hours max). The light is on usually during 4pm-12 pm. I suspect the tank isn't heavily planted enough because brown algae has developed. Here's a picture(sorry it's not great)

Dumb question: once I replant them, will they grow more or stay the same size they were when I snapped them off?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.