The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idk if this is a stupid question or not, but as I find myself becoming more captivated by planted tanks I find myself at this question. I am fully aware of the benefits to running CO2. But because I choose not to run it,does that affect what type of plants I can grow?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have plants thriving in a tank without CO2 that were struggling in a tank with CO2. So in my humble opinion, variables aside, I will say yes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My way of thinking is that's the amount of CO2 a plant requires that determines if it will be successful, not overdoing the CO2 per se. Adding a cup of salt to popcorn won't make it taste better. Anyways, the internet says there are several sources of CO2 already in the aquarium. (the natural route) About one fifth of it is assimilated by the plants and returned to the water. The fish also add to the CO2 levels with their respiration. The bacterial decay of both dead plant material and driftwood decorations in the tank produce CO2. The largest contributor to CO2 levels in the aquarium is the biofilter which supposedly produces 1 gram of CO2 within a 24 hour cycle for every gram of dry food added to the tank.

Bump: Mixing plants from different habits with different requirements requires the stealth of a jedi. In a perfect world plants and fish that hang out together in nature will be the easiest to maintain.

·
Planted Tanker
6,080 Posts
Nobody is saying a tank cannot do fine without CO2. Plenty do.

The question is does not having CO2 limit the species of plants one can grow successfully. The answer to that is unequivocally yes.

Micro sword should do OK in a dirted substrate with decent lighting.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Nobody is saying a tank cannot do fine without CO2. Plenty do.

The question is does not having CO2 limit the species of plants one can grow successfully. The answer to that is unequivocally yes.

Micro sword should do OK in a dirted substrate with decent lighting.
Exactly, if you don't want to be limited by what you can grow then there is no substitute for co2. Furthermore I have never found a plant that doesn't grow fuller, lusher without co2, then with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.