The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
Only one I can think of is smelt. Of course, you've already got that listed, and most do spend most of their time in saltwater, but there are landlocked ones in freshwater too. Some folks deep fry minnows and eat them whole but I don't think I would call that common.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Dependent on your definition of small, freshwater weather loaches, 3 to 4 inches, and giant gourami, 8+ inch, are eaten in Asia. But the smallest ediible are salt water anchovies and shrimp, from 1/2 to 2 inch, dried and eaten whole, a high price delicacy in Asian cuisine.

·
Super Moderator
15,777 Posts
Most people in here don't eat their pets actually.
Many people run aquaculture systems in garages and greenhouses. Fish waste allows plants to grow and once fish are large enough, they're harvested.

Not something most of us are interested in but it is fairly common.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Smelt and perch (though maybe that's too large based on your list). We used to have a great smelt fishery here in the great lakes, not anymore though..

·
Registered
645 Posts
Here are some small edible freshwater fish. They are farm raised or wild caught in Asia. They are small enough to be raised in fish tank, but I doubt anyone can eat their own pet.

Weather loach, climbing perch gourami, goby (3 to 4 inch) and baby goby (1 inch).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts