The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My current setup is a UNS rimless shallow 10 gallon with the following features:

-I have a shallow section in the back left corner which I'll be adding more substrate to make it nearly a land section. This portion is already inhabited by a water celery but I think these plants would benefit from an even shallower environment. I eventually will plant some sort of semi-aquatic grass or reed here too.

-A pair of "Triple Red" Apistogramma cacatuoides , a clown Plecostomus, 4x panda cory cats, a large snail and a male halfmoon Betta fish

-2 logs creating an arch that is half out of the water. One of the logs is much larger than the other but both have terrestrial moss growing on them in and out of the water. The smaller log has about 12 leaves of a Bucephalandra sp. specimen I'm trying to root to it and the larger one has a single Phalaenopsis sp. (Moth Orchid) I'm training to root around the log. There is also a piece of Malaysian drift wood angled in front of the output from the filter (Penguin Biowheel 150) which hopefully will only be temporary as the plants grow in and eventually can keep up with the bioload.

-Random small grass-like foreground plants, random Bucephalandra sp. I've collected and a large red leafed plant I have no idea the species that has really started to become red over the past few weeks. (I need to get better with my aquatic plant IDing)

-Constantly rotating supply of dried oak leaves on river stones behind the logs

-Half of a terracotta pot making a step down from the shallow area to deeper water and this has become home to a semi-aquatic Java fern. I also placed the bottom of this terracotta pot that still had part of the side attached behind the large log to act as a cave for the apistos for when they spawn.



I've been playing around with filtration to get the right mix between flow for the plants, fish and settling debris so I apologize for the debris in the pictures. I'm still fighting an algae bloom I've had since the tank was cycling but I'm hoping it starts to subside as the plants fill in. Since all of the light demanding plants are in the foreground I have a cheap LED fixture I got at Petco going over 1/4 of the tank but I am looking to upgrade this to a hanging pendant that will also reach the terrestrial section once I move this tank to a shelf I'm currently building.

I supplement nutrients with UNS ALL IN ONE and do have a CO2 set up but both of these are on hold until I overcome this algal bloom.

I'm currently planning a breeding setup for Apistogramma sp. because I love this genus of fish, want to study them more as well as give fellow hobbyists in my area a better chance at owning these wonderful dwarf cichlids.

I'm also planning a 5 gallon rimless cube tank that, like my pond, will feature predatory terrestrial plants coming out of the tank on either a nice piece of driftwood that fits what I'm looking to do or some sort of stone sectioning off a dirt/ peat moss section or terracotta structure. The plants in this tank will be low nutrient and planted in sand. This tank will eventually house a small group of a darker colored shrimp to make them pop against the sand and the Java fern I have in my current set up as it didn't fit in quite as I had hoped. The only thing holding this tank up is finding the perfect object to hold the predatory plants and I promised my fiancé that the current pond and this tank would be integrated into a house plant shelf I've yet to finish building :laugh2:

I'll get into these projects more as they develop. Sorry for the photo quality, I promise they'll get better eventually!

Eddie
 

Attachments

  • Like
Reactions: Seedreemer

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TL;DR Updates:

-New lighting system/stand coming in Monday
-Tons of new plants on their way this week
-Started injecting CO2 into the tank this past week
-Removed the red lily which had started to block the light on most of the tank along with the Java Fern
-Added 2 more female and one more male Apisto.
-Removed the beta and moved him to a 5 gallon rimless cube I started several weeks ago


I'm going to try and start updating this thread more after this week for anyone who has been following so far. The plants in the tank are all noticeably responding to the CO2 injection set up I put together this week and seem to finally be using enough of the nutrients to where the algae in the tank can be managed finally. I had to remove the red lily as it was over taking the tank and while I was at it, I removed the java fern because it seemed out of place with how the set up has been developing. The new apistos I added caused the pair I had to immediately color up which in turn caused the new ones to color up more and they're all very happy and active now.



I started getting bothered by the layout of this tank and am planning a massive overhaul this week once my new plants and lighting system gets in. The tank space is being under utilized so I'll be most likely removing the three smaller pieces of driftwood and keeping the log with the orchid. Once everything has been added and rearranged I'll post another update.

Eddie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the new plants came in, the new light is up and running and after I receive my last order, white star sedge plugs, all the planting will be done for now. I'll try and snap some better pictures of each plant later with some ID's!
 

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top