The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering why people don't use them alot on planted tanks. I think they are awesome since they provide shimmer, low wattage and you can get it at 8000k. They are a little pricey, but i mean you can get shimmer less energy and a great color. Does anyone know where you can get par reading on these? I want to purchase the 48" and try just one row on my 90 gallon and see if i can just grow jungle vals in my cichlids tank.

From Ecoxotic....

The new Stunner Strips could replace NO (normal output) T5 lamps, but they are not the same output at HO (high output) T5 lamps. If your keeping fish, live rock and some basic LPS corals - two of them will work great. The Stunner LED Strips are completely waterproof, so you can set them directly on top of your aquarium if you like.

Sincerely,
The Ecoxotic Team

2 lamps would be great but still are pciey considering the fact that you can get a tek reflector, ballast, geiseman bulb, and endcaps for like 100 bucks and it would be better par. What are your thoughts on these?

http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led-lights/stunner-led-strips/stunner-led-strips-24-watt.html

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think some of the challenge with LED lighting for planted tanks is that historically its been hard to find out what the light output is (intensity and color), and a lot of the early stuff and/or cheap stuff has been total crap. Either poor output, poor color, and/or too directional (spotlight vs whole tank light). It also doesn't help that most LED lights that are of decent quality are aimed at the Reef market so are a lot bluer than most people want.

I think with time more and more people will make the move, and it will take time for people to invest the money in an LED lighting system until there are a lot more testimonials. It doesn't help that many of the early adopters got turned off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.