The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question regarding my ecoxotic e series.

Is there anyone that is using them for low tech tanks?

I have two 48" ones on top of my 75 gallon and I'm trying to get medium lighting without using pressurized co2, only using excel. I'm also dosing a slightly low light EI ferts.

I just don't know how much to dim the lights, I've been playing around with different settings but I just don't want to run into algae problems. Right now I have white and blue at 75% and red is at 100%.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, let me rephrase the question and see if I get some responses.

Is anyone running ecoxotic lights on their low tech tanks?

·
Registered
128 Posts
pauliewoz,

I use an e series over my low-tech 60p. I've used a few different sources to put together an idea of how to dim them.

PAR measurements with the e series have shown that the color (red/green/blue) LEDs give negligible PAR compared to the white ones; therefore you can use the white LED level as an intensity gauge, and still keep the full color enhancing effects of the RGBs.

Through ecoxotic's own website, they state that one e series should give about 50 PAR at 20in, roughly where I assume your substrate is on a 75g tank. Double that for your two fixtures and you're getting 100 or so, solidly in the high light category.

I'd dim each of your fixture's white levels to about 35-50%, then fiddle with your RGBs until you get the look you want.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm running one on my low tech 50 gallon.
I have all low light plants in it. Its only about a month old but plants are starting to grow in. I'm getting some brown algae, but nothing in green category.

I have it sitting right on the tank but I'm going to raise it 3" because I really don't like the way it lights the top of the tank with the sharp angle of the reflector. It looks a lot better about 3" up off the rim.

My settings are:
red, blue green all set to 100%
Daylight is set to 52%
I run it for about 5 1/2 hours per day

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm new to LED lighting and I just didn't want to run into any serious algae issues that will be hard to fix.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hey Paulie,

I bought the hanging kit for my e90's and e120's. Agree with the above comments. I'm mediumish light with co2. Their site has a par chart to give you a rough idea. I run 2 on my 90g at 70% on all channels, suspended 3" off the top glass. The 90g is taller than your 75g so I would start at around 50% and bump it up 5% per week until you see a bit of algae, then back down 5%-10%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.