The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a gravel similar to ecocomplete and flourite that’s not $1.50 a pound or more. I’ll be using it for under gravel filters for a shrimp rack. Suggestions? My local yard gravel supplier only has lava rock in larger sizes 1”+

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Calcined clay such as turface or safe-t-sorb (the latter is available from tractor supply stores for about 7 dollars for a 40 lb bag).

Looks like a winner, thank you! Do you know if it will release any minerals? I read that it is inert but that it contains usable nutrients from another source and didn’t know if it leaches those out at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Looks like a winner, thank you! Do you know if it will release any minerals? I read that it is inert but that it contains usable nutrients from another source and didn’t know if it leaches those out at all.

I have safe t sorb it seems to suck kh at the start. It also needs to be rinsed a lot.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

You will need a fertilizer option like any substrate but otherwise it shouldn't release anything. As mentioned KH at the start till it becomes "charged". A search will show how people did this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.