The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wondering about people's experience with caribsea eco complete planted aquarium substrate. I was planning on doing a small 10g planted tank. All the reviews I've found have been good.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Hello, just wondering about people's experience with caribsea eco complete planted aquarium substrate. I was planning on doing a small 10g planted tank. All the reviews I've found have been good.
it become useless unless you dose ferts in water. other than that its just a good source of absorbing nutrients from water.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
The neatest thing about EcoComplete (and Flourite, for that matter) is that it allows you to be a bit lazier about dosing regimens. Because it has a high CEC (think: nutrient retention capacity), it will absorb excess fertilizers that plants can use at their leisure.

EcoComplete, despite its implied claims to the contrary, is inert. It does not come packed with anything at all. It's up to you, the fertilizer-in-chief, to do the fertilizing. But can you grow really cool stuff in it? Sure.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I KNOW all the 'ad gab' on Flourite original and Eco Complete and I've read user posts stating one is high in iron and the other supplies everything plants need. Well,,,,,,,
both have a high CEC which is useful but that's about it. I got over the rest of the blah, blah, blah on the crushed brick and volcanic gravel wish others would too. Be nice if they changed the label on EC.
Worth buying? If you have the spare funds yes. I've bought a pallet of Flourite and a wheel barrow full of EcoComp but I realize it's inert and use it mostly as a capping material now.

Having an inert sub tank I would add tablet supplements ever 3 months for rooted plants. Easy method and works great.

Eco is safe and easy to use so a good choice.

What is CEC think (Cation Exchange Capacity) :hihi: but yes think plant nutrient retention capacity or storing from the water and returning as needed until the supply is exhausted sort of like a battery too LOL.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I KNOW all the 'ad gab' on Flourite original and Eco Complete and I've read user posts stating one is high in iron and the other supplies everything plants need. Well,,,,,,,
both have a high CEC which is useful but that's about it. I got over the rest of the blah, blah, blah on the crushed brick and volcanic gravel wish others would too. Be nice if they changed the label on EC.
Worth buying? If you have the spare funds yes. I've bought a pallet of Flourite and a wheel barrow full of EcoComp but I realize it's inert and use it mostly as a capping material now.

Having an inert sub tank I would add tablet supplements ever 3 months for rooted plants. Easy method and works great.

Eco is safe and easy to use so a good choice.

What is CEC think (Cation Exchange Capacity) :hihi: but yes think plant nutrient retention capacity or storing from the water and returning as needed until the supply is exhausted sort of like a battery too LOL.
What do you mean when you say you use it as a capping material?

·
Registered
37 Posts
A capping material is any substrate that one would put over top (cap) a specialty or high- nutrient substrate (dirt, MTS, aquasoil, whatever). And generally in a heavily planted tank, little to no gravel vacuuming is needed.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Clean the surface in open areas yes by all means but most of the sub will be to full of plants in most tanks (mine anyway LOL) for much vacuuming

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have used Eco complete in 5 planted tanks of mine and I love it, you can put it directly in to your tank and it barely has any dust. Looks pretty good, good varying size of the rocks and such. My plants all love it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I have two tanks with the regular black eco-complete and two tanks without. All 4 have the same PH. The eco-complete tanks are new and have been running for about 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
no biggie but,,,

Sorry to disagree but indeed the additives used currently in the packaging does shift KH/pH parameters initially. Nothing major but after 24hrs I tested a 2dKH rise on two tanks after start up.
Posted test results on the two new 55g systems this year using only EcoComp in the journals on the tanks. Again nothing huge just a 2dKH shift and after the second WC that ended. Just part of they're 'magic juice' used in packaging.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.