The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been many discussions on which is better, Flourite or Eco-Complete. Not interested in THAT discussion.

Has anyone ever mixed the two together? If so, how did it work out? Any reason it shouldn't be done?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I know there have been many discussions on which is better, Flourite or Eco-Complete. Not interested in THAT discussion.

Has anyone ever mixed the two together? If so, how did it work out? Any reason it shouldn't be done?
From someone who's used both, I wouldn't waste my money on either. Pick up some inert sand and roots tabs and you will do better than either one.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have both plus Flora Max in 2 tanks.

I didn't have good luck with root tabs and just gravel alone. Now I dose the water column with the different substrates and I'm getting really good growth.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 40 breeder/T5 Light with just PFS and I use Osmocote Plus root tabs and my plants grow very good been growing plants like this for years you can use some red clay balls with the root tabs and your plants will take off.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Fairly often you haer people say that smaller grains will work their way down to the
bottom. I believe that this requires movement of the sub to happen. Such as might
be the case if you have trumpet snails or when you pull up plants.
I've had Laterite under Eco for 3-4 years now without it coming up through the eco.
But then I have no trumpet snails and very little disturbing of the sub.
Neither of those two subs gives any nutrients to the plants BTW.
But they are both capable of absorbing nutrients when they are heavy in the water
and then releasing them when they are weaker in level in the water.
So If you are going to be adding nutrients either or both of those will help keep
the supply of nutrients more consistent throughout the week.
But since they don't supply nutrients then either or will do the same thing. The
only reason to use both would seem to be if you already had both and didn't want
to waste them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My tank overhauls were done out of sheer annoyance. The majority of the plants I have are slow growers, but not seeing any new growth on anything for months at a time was ridiculous.

I agree that all the promises made on bags of Eco-Complete, Flourite or any other manufactured substrate is BS, but what I was doing was not working so it was time to do something else. Now my anubias are sprouting new leaves once a month. Hurray! I've also noticed that there is less melting of new plants and they recover quicker. I don't know if that has anything to do with substrate or not, but I'll take it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.