The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am starting another 90 gal tank. I may have made a mistake though. I put the water in before I put in eco-complete. Now there is a nice murky silt floating in the water. I thought it would settle, but 3 days later the water is still very silty. I havent dared to turn on my filter to start the cycle as I am not sure if all of that silt will ruin the filter, or at least dirty up the media very quickly. I thought about removing the water, but wasnt sure that was a good idea as I would have to refill it with tap water which would damage the bacteria in the substrate Any suggestions?

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about bacteria in the substrate, especially if this is going to be a planted tank. Lot's of plants are the best way to get a tank ready for fish.

If you don't have anything besides substrate in there, I would remove all water (all the way down to the bottom pane) and then refill VERY S L O W L Y.

That way all those floating particles stay in the substrate, and over a few days actually move down all the way to the bottom.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did you save the little bag of clarifier that came with the Eco? I used that, turned the filter on and the water was crystal clear within 12 hours. I then opened my canister and gave the filter floss pad a good rinse to clean out the dust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yea I did keep the packets. Will use them and turn it on. I am starting to think its just cloudy water and not actually silt floating around so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts