The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm starting up a 15 gal tank and ordered a 20lb bag of Eco complete. I used it before in a 10 gal and I liked it...

So it looks like one bag is not enough to go 3" in a 15 gal. Can I mix in fine black sand to bulk it up a bit. Or what would be the best way to bulk it up without causing ill effects.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When I had that problem with a 45 gallon tank, and Fluval Stratum, I used some MTS under the substrate to build up the depth. It works fine, and it would work even better with Eco Complete.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hummm just looked up the cost of Fluval Stratum. Might as well just by another 20#'s of eco.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have eco complete in my 10 gallon and put some black sand on top for my cories. It's a little bit too thick but for a 15 gallon it might come out just right.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered another bag. I wasn't trying to be cheap just didn't want to waste 1/2 a bag. The more I read 2 bags is just about right for a 15 gal. First bag arrived today and only got me about 1-1/2" deep in the tank.

Those pieces of tape are at the 2-1/2" mark.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I had that problem with a 45 gallon tank, and Fluval Stratum, I used some MTS under the substrate to build up the depth. It works fine, and it would work even better with Eco Complete.
Hi. Slight hijack: what is "MTS"?

Thanks,
Leah

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Facepalm. I was way off, thought MTS was Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts