The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am re-doing my tank with eco-complete starting tonight. My question is, should i or should i not drain the water that comes with the eco-complete in the bag before i put the substrate in my tank ?

It says on the bag NOT to drain off the water in the bag but I have been told both on other forums and thought this would be the best place to get the real answer. I have heard about masive amounts of phosphates in some bags of eco. Would draining the water from the eco help to lessen the amounts of phosphates i add to my tank if i do infact have a "bad batch" of eco ?

James

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hi All,

I am re-doing my tank with eco-complete starting tonight. My question is, should i or should i not drain the water that comes with the eco-complete in the bag before i put the substrate in my tank ?

It says in the bag NOT to drain off the water in the bag but I have been told both on other forums and thought this would be the best place to get the real answer. I have heard about masive amounts of phosphates in some bags of eco. Would draining the water from the eco help to lessen the amounts of phosphates i add to my tank if i do infact have a "bad batch" of eco ?

James
I thought they remedied that problem a long time ago?

It doesn't really matter if you keep the water or not, it doesn't really contain anything worth keeping it for. However, note that you did pay for it. ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
The phosphate problem was quite some time ago. Unless you bought a bag off the dusty shelf of a LFS that doesn't sell much of it you should be fine. If you did have a bad bag draining the water wouldn't help you much anyway. The phosphate would be in the substrate as much as it would the water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.